Singularity in reference to blackholes and right before the big bang?

In summary: I think that those theorems are roughly equivalent to "if there's an event horizon somewhere, there must be a singularity too".
fa7alerr0r
Now correct me if I'm wrong. Gravitational singularity is when It has a defined mass but no volume and the equation for density is d=m/v. If a black hole's mass is say 10^40 yottagrams
and its a singularity so it has no volume = 0. How can it have infinite density if the equation is (10^40 yottagrams)/0 wouldn't that be undefined density?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think astrophysicists claim that singularities exist in nature.
A singularity is a breakdown in some manmade theory.
Or you could say it is the place where the manmade theory breaks down.

There have been singularities in various other fields of science. they usually got rid of them by fixing the theory so it doesn't blow up or fail at that point.

In astronomy the kind of singularity you hear about is this infinite density, infinite curvature business (trouble with the theory around BB and BH). I don't think anybody believes such blowups actually occur. The problem is, what improved theory do we use instead so we don't get a singularity---and what really happens.

there was an international workshop on this last year, various experts presented their ideas.
Google "Kitp singularities"
(it was a 2-week conference at KITP, an institute at Univ. Santa Barbara)
If you can't get the videos of the talks, let me know and I will help.

Well there is emerging theory that singularities don’t have to exist, as well as the Loop Quantum Gravity work. However, some might caution that they need to show some of that proof thing. :smile:
In the mean time, Roy Kerr used General Relativity to prove that the mass of a spinning star collapses into a ring with the width of the Planck length and zero height. The zero height part gives the ring zero volume as well (volume equals length times width times height). Zero volume causes the density to approach infinity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_singularity

GR has passed every test so far, unlike some other stuff.

ty guys

Arch2008 said:
In the mean time, Roy Kerr used General Relativity to prove that the mass of a spinning star collapses into a ring with the width of the Planck length and zero height. The zero height part gives the ring zero volume as well (volume equals length times width times height). Zero volume causes the density to approach infinity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_singularity

GR has passed every test so far, unlike some other stuff.

And Penrose, and then Penrose and Hawking, showed that GR predicts singularities under much more general conditions.

George Jones said:
And Penrose, and then Penrose and Hawking, showed that GR predicts singularities under much more general conditions.

I think that's subject to the additional assumption (which I don't think should be counted as part of GR itself) that Hilbert's physical interpretation of the radial coordinate in the vacuum solution is correct and Schwarzschild's is not.

Jonathan Scott said:
I think that's subject to the additional assumption (which I don't think should be counted as part of GR itself) that Hilbert's physical interpretation of the radial coordinate in the vacuum solution is correct and Schwarzschild's is not.

These theorems don't assume particular solutions.

George Jones said:
These theorems don't assume particular solutions.

I think that those theorems are roughly equivalent to "if there's an event horizon somewhere, there must be a singularity too". It is the question of whether event horizons occur in reality which depends on the assumption about the radial coordinate.

1. What is the singularity in relation to black holes?

The singularity is a point of infinite density and zero volume that exists at the center of a black hole. It is where the laws of physics, as we currently understand them, break down and our understanding of the universe becomes limited.

2. How is the singularity related to the big bang?

The singularity is also believed to have existed at the beginning of the universe, right before the big bang. It is thought that the entire universe was once compressed into a singularity and then expanded rapidly in the big bang event.

3. Can we observe the singularity in black holes?

No, we cannot directly observe the singularity in black holes because it is hidden behind the event horizon, the point of no return for anything entering a black hole. However, we can study the effects of the singularity on its surrounding environment.

4. What happens to matter and energy at the singularity?

At the singularity, matter and energy are thought to be compressed to infinite density, meaning they occupy no space. This results in the laws of physics breaking down, and our current understanding of the universe cannot accurately describe what happens at this point.

5. Is the singularity the end of space and time?

It is currently unknown what lies beyond the singularity or if the concept of space and time even applies at this point. Some theories suggest that the singularity may lead to the formation of a new universe, while others propose that it may be a gateway to other dimensions or realities.