1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singularity in the infinity

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find and classify the singularities in C* of [tex]f(z) = \frac{{\pi z - \pi {z^3}}}{{\sin (\pi z)}}[/tex], and give information about Res(f, 0) and Res(f, infinity)

3. The attempt at a solution

I found that the singularities in C are z = n, with n [tex]\in[/tex] Z, n[tex]\neq[/tex] 0, n[tex]\neq[/tex] 1. These are simple poles, while z=0 and z=1 are removable singularities (therefore, Res(f, 0)=0).

Now, in C*: what I thought is that, since the poles tend to infinity when n tends to infinity, then there is a non-isolated singularity.

But then I don't know how to calculate Res(f, infinity).

Did I think that the right way or what am I missing?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2
    Could somebody check this out, please?

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3
    Did I write this correctly? Answer please, because I don't know if I'm translating my question properly into English.

5. Nov 1, 2009 #4
    No one? Please, I need to know this urgently.

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A singularity at infinity of f(z) has the same residue as the singularity at 0 of f(1/z).

Look at
    [tex]f(\frac{1}{z}) = \frac{\frac{\pi}{z} - \frac{\pi}{z^3}}{\sin (\frac{\pi}{z})}[/tex]

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6
    Thanks. You say the only way to find out is to find the a-1 coefficient (and then multiply by -1)?

Was my assumption that it was a non-isolated singularity correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook