1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singularity of function of complex variable

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to proof that this equation:
    [tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{1}{\pi}*PV \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'-\omega)}d\omega'[/tex]
    (where P denotes Principal Value Integration of Cauchy, r and i denotes rispectively real and imaginary part of x function)
    is equivalent to this equation:
    [tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}* \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')-\omega x_i(\omega)}{\omega'^2-\omega^2}d\omega'[/tex].

This equation (the first) is the first of the Kramers-Kronig relations for complex function.

2. Relevant equations
    Using symmetry property of x(w), I can proof that the first equation is equivalent to:
    [tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'[/tex]

I also show, using PV definition, that:
    [tex]PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'=0[/tex]

The definition of PV that I have used in my calculus is the follow:
    [tex]PV \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\omega')d\omega'=\lim_{r \to 0} (\int_{-\infty}^{\omega-r} f(\omega')d\omega'+\int_{\omega+r}^{\infty} f(\omega')d\omega')[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting from:
    [tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'[/tex]
    I have added and removed from the numerator the quantity

[tex]\omega x_i(\omega)[/tex]

[tex]x_r(\omega)=\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega' x_i(\omega')-\omega x_i(\omega)}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'+\frac{2}{\pi}*PV \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\omega x_i(\omega)}{(\omega'^2-\omega^2)}d\omega'[/tex]
    The second integral is zero; the first integral is the solution of the problem a part of the PV operators. I think that if I justify that the integrands have no singularity at w'=w, the problem is solve (in this case, in fact, I can remove PV operators from first integral).
    But I don't understand why that integrands is not singular for w'=w: infact in w there is a pole of the function x(w) (from the complete proof of Kramers-Kronig relations I have understand that w is a pole, with no imaginary part, of x(w)), and the denominator goes to zero when w'=w, as the numerator.
    Someone can help me?
    Thank very much
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?