Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singularity prevented by repulsive force?

1. Jul 20, 2004 #1
    If hadrons carried a new kind of charge that exerted a significant
    force only over very short distances so that hadrons repel hadrons at
    close range,this force could stop the formation of a singularity when
    a massive star collapses. There is no evidence for the existence of
    such a force, but are there theoretical reasons for believing that
    there can be no more forces in nature?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2004 #2
    There are no theoretical reasons for believing there are no more forces in nature. But we don't postulate something unless we have experimental evidence for it; otherwise we could write down theories for infinitely many forces with any behavior we wanted.
    My knowledge of general relativity is much weaker than that of particle physics, but I don't think such a force can stop the collapse to a singularity. I think there is a theorem in GR that once some matter collapses inside its own Schwarzschild radius, no force, however strong, can stop its collapse towards the singularity. The space is curved to such a degree that all timelike paths lead towards the singularity so unless the particles move faster than light, they cannot escape.
  4. Jul 21, 2004 #3
    The space is curved to such a degree that all timelike paths lead towards the singularity

Can dark energy oppose this curvature - it is gravitationally repulsive?
  5. Jul 21, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

The strong force is repulsive at very short distances.

6. Jul 21, 2004 #5
    My knowledge of GR is limited, as I've said. Try the astronomy or cosmology forums for this one.
  7. Jul 21, 2004 #6

Homework Helper

I did not know this, but it makes more sense now. Does this refer to the direct or residual strong force. I thought that the strong force was an HO force at the smallest distances.
  8. Jul 21, 2004 #7

Gold Member

Pauli principle amounts to impenetrability for identical spin 1/2 particles. That is the main trick.

On a related note, some famous problems actually bypass the singularity problem. Between them, I have read, the classical gravitational three body problem has a perturbative expansion that avoids the singularity in origin.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?