1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sink and sources in FM

1. Jun 24, 2005 #1
    Dear Friends,

I have some questions about the efects of sink, sources and vortices. Both sink and source in fluids mechanics, are a region near a point that attracts or repels, for example, a particle. In the case of a vortice, in adition, a particle will be atract and approach towards the central point of circular form, really spiral.

My question is:

a) The particle has an attraction force to the sink, and repeling force to the source?
    b) What happens if there are two, a sink and a source, at one distance?
    c) What happens, if there are two equals, sink-sink or source-source

and the most important:

d) Is there any book or internet page about this questions? I've googled, but nothing is about this.

Best reggards.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2005 #2
    a) The particle has an attraction force to the sink, and repeling force to the source?

This statement seems valid to me

b) What happens if there are two, a sink and a source, at one distance?

If we have a sink and a source of the same strength at a common point we have whats called a dipole. The pattern it makes depends on it orientation and its streamlines are similar to those fored by the magnetic field produced by a bar magnet. For example, if the sink and source are stacked vertically the pattern would be different than if they were left and right of eachother.

c) What happens, if there are two equals, sink-sink or source-source

Simply use superposition, having a two sinks or sources at a common point is like having one with twice the strength.

d) Is there any book or internet page about this questions? I've googled, but nothing is about this.

Try this one, kind of expensive but its a greatbook. The first 6 chapters or so cover incompressible flow (fluid mechanics) then the rest ofthe book covers compressible flow, inviscid supersonic aerodynamics, viscous effects, and finally hypersonic design concepts. Anyways the book is

Fundamentals of Aerodynamics - John D. Anderson

Best reggards.

4. Jun 27, 2005 #3
    Very clear! Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?