1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinking ocean liner velocity problem

1. Feb 2, 2005 #1
    Suppose that the Ocean Liner came to rest at teh surface of the ocean before it started to sink. Due to the resistance of the seawater, the sinking ocean liner then reached a terminal velocity of 10 m/s after falling for 30s.

1.Determine the magnitude "a" of the average acceleration of the ocean liner during this period of time.

2. Assuming the acceleration was constant, calculate the distance "d" below the surface at which the ocean liner reached this terminal velocity.

3. Calculate the time "t" it took the ocean liner to sink from the surface to the bottom of the ocean.

I'd appreciate it if someone would be so kind as to prod me in the right direction, or solve this for me outright.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2005 #2
    This formula might help for #1:

[tex]V_f = V_i + at[/tex] (where initial velocity is zero, final velocity is 10m/s and time is 30s)

As for #2:

[tex] d=V_it + 1/2at^2[/tex] (initial velocity is 0, time is 30s)
  4. Feb 2, 2005 #3
    I sure hope it's that simple, our physics teacher has a merry time throwing in Kinematics kinks, within our Fluid mechanics problems...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?