Fox Population Sinusoidal Graph and Equation | Endangered Species Prediction

• Thread starter Aphrodite08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, A sinusoidal function produces graphical representations that look the same as cosine and sinusoidal functions, but with different start and end points. The difference between the two functions is that a cosine function starts at t=0 and goes up to a maximum, while a sinusoidal function starts at t=0 and goes down to a maximum. t=7 is the first time foxes were endangered, when their population dropped below 300.
Aphrodite08
Here is the problem:

Naturalists find that the poplulations of some kinds of predatory animals vary periodically. Assume that the population of foxes in a certain forest varies sinusoidally with time. Records started being kept when time t = 0. A minimum number, 200 foxes, occurred when t = 2.9 years. The next maximum, 800 foxes, occurred at t = 5.1 years.

a.) Sketch a graph of this sinuoid.
b.) Write an equation expressing the number of foxes as a function of time,
t.
c.) Predict the population when t = 7
d.) Foxes are declared to be an endangered species when their population drops below 300. Between what two non-negative values of t were foxes first endangered?

I do not know how this graph should look like... as in whether it should be sine or cosine, and how I would properly show the minimums and maximums. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF forums! You will find a lot of useful information here and plenty of knowledgeable people who can assist you.

You need to offer your attempt at a solution. Just show us what you think so far. Don't worry if it is wrong, we can help you. Also please be sure to reread this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94381 which appears at the top of this topic..

Let me mention that you're off to a good start. You've stated your problem. If after thinking about this, you still are not making any progress. Why not start by telling us the general equation for a sinusoidal function being sure to define how the variables correspond to the graphical representation.

Aphrodite08 said:
Here is the problem:

Naturalists find that the poplulations of some kinds of predatory animals vary periodically. Assume that the population of foxes in a certain forest varies sinusoidally with time. Records started being kept when time t = 0. A minimum number, 200 foxes, occurred when t = 2.9 years. The next maximum, 800 foxes, occurred at t = 5.1 years.

a.) Sketch a graph of this sinuoid.
b.) Write an equation expressing the number of foxes as a function of time,
t.
c.) Predict the population when t = 7
d.) Foxes are declared to be an endangered species when their population drops below 300. Between what two non-negative values of t were foxes first endangered?

I do not know how this graph should look like... as in whether it should be sine or cosine, and how I would properly show the minimums and maximums. Any help would be appreciated.
It really doesn't matter whether the curve is a "sine" or "cosine"- they look the same. The difference is where you choose to set t= 0. Since you are told that "record keeping" started ast t= 0, you are given that and I suspect the result is neither a pure "sin(t)" nor "cos(t)". Try, instead [itex]Asin(\omega(t- t_0))[/itex] or [itex]A cos(\omega(t- t_0)). Where will either of those have a maximum, where a mininum?

1. What is a sinusoid graph problem?

A sinusoid graph problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves plotting a graph of a sinusoidal function, which is a function that has a repeating pattern resembling a sine or cosine wave.

2. How do you solve a sinusoid graph problem?

To solve a sinusoid graph problem, you first need to determine the amplitude, period, and phase shift of the function. Then, use these values to plot points on the graph and connect them to form a curve. You can also use a calculator or software program to help solve the problem.

3. What are some real-life applications of sinusoid graph problems?

Sinusoid graph problems have various real-life applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, predicting stock market trends, and analyzing sound waves in music.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving sinusoid graph problems?

One common mistake when solving sinusoid graph problems is forgetting to convert the period to radians if it is given in degrees. Another mistake is forgetting to account for the vertical shift of the graph. It is also important to pay attention to the signs in front of the variables in the function.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving sinusoid graph problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving sinusoid graph problems is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different types of functions and their properties. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources for additional practice problems and explanations.