Solving Sinusoidal Diff EQ: Lagrangian Equation Problem

In summary, the equation given is \ddot{\Theta}=C \sin{\Theta}, where \Theta is a function of time and C is a constant. This can be solved by noting that the second order derivative of \Theta is purely a function of \Theta alone, and using the chain rule to simplify the equation. The resulting equation is separable and can be solved using separation of variables. However, if the small angle approximation is not valid, an exact solution cannot be found.
SonOfOle

Homework Statement

[tex]\ddot{\Theta}=C \sin{\Theta}[/tex] where [tex]\Theta[/tex] is a function of time, and C is a constant.

I ran into this on a Lagrangian Equation problem, and though the problem doesn't ask for the solution, I'm wondering how one would solve this Diff EQ. I'm afraid my intro to Diff EQ class was a couple years back and I'm coming up short with any ideas.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what function do you differentiate twice to get a sin with a constant in front?

You can solve this by noting that the second order derivative of theta is purely a function of theta alone. This means that [tex] \theta'' = f(\theta)[/tex]

By the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{d\theta} \left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = C \sin \theta[/tex]

This is separable and solvable. Once you have solved for [itex]\theta ' [/itex], you can use solve for theta again using separation of variables

Defennder said:
You can solve this by noting that the second order derivative of theta is purely a function of theta alone. This means that [tex] \theta'' = f(\theta)[/tex]

By the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{d\theta} \left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = C \sin \theta[/tex]

This is separable and solvable. Once you have solved for [itex]\theta ' [/itex], you can use solve for theta again using separation of variables

Alright, so:

[tex]\left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = (C_{1} \cos \theta) + C_{2}[/tex]

[tex] \theta = \int \sqrt{(C_{1} \cos \theta)+C_{2}} dt [/tex]

How would I use separation of variables here?

By separating the variables before you integrate!
[tex]\theta '= \sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C_2}[/tex]
Where I have incorporated the "2C2[/sup]" into the unknown constant C2 (but not C1= 2C; C is a given number, not an unknown).

[tex]d\theta= \sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C_2}dt[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C2}}= \int dt[/itex]

That integral on the left looks to me like an "elliptic integral" which cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

That's not what you should get. You should have [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{c_1 - 2 \cos \theta}} d\theta = dt[/tex]

But I see a problem here. I don't know of a way to integrate the LHS.

Thanks all. That helps. It's coming back, just slowly at times.

Of course, the traditional way to solve it is to make a small angle approximation, and forget about the cases where that isn't valid. :p

1. What is a sinusoidal differential equation?

A sinusoidal differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves a sinusoidal function, such as sine or cosine. These equations model many natural phenomena, such as oscillations and waves.

2. How do you solve a sinusoidal differential equation?

To solve a sinusoidal differential equation, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, undetermined coefficients, or the method of variation of parameters. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What is a Lagrangian equation?

A Lagrangian equation is a type of differential equation that is used to describe the dynamics of a system. It is based on the principle of least action, where the behavior of a system is determined by minimizing the difference between the kinetic and potential energies.

4. How is the Lagrangian equation used to solve sinusoidal differential equations?

The Lagrangian equation can be used to solve sinusoidal differential equations by first converting the equation into a Lagrangian form. This involves finding the kinetic and potential energies of the system and then setting up the Lagrangian equation. The resulting equation can then be solved using the appropriate method.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving sinusoidal differential equations using the Lagrangian equation?

Solving sinusoidal differential equations using the Lagrangian equation has many applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to model and understand the behavior of systems such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits. It also has applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and fluid dynamics.