1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinusoidal Diff EQ

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\ddot{\Theta}=C \sin{\Theta}[/tex] where [tex]\Theta[/tex] is a function of time, and C is a constant.

I ran into this on a Lagrangian Equation problem, and though the problem doesn't ask for the solution, I'm wondering how one would solve this Diff EQ. I'm afraid my intro to Diff EQ class was a couple years back and I'm coming up short with any ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2
    what function do you differentiate twice to get a sin with a constant in front?
  4. Jun 21, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

You can solve this by noting that the second order derivative of theta is purely a function of theta alone. This means that [tex] \theta'' = f(\theta)[/tex]

By the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{d\theta} \left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = C \sin \theta[/tex]

This is separable and solvable. Once you have solved for [itex]\theta ' [/itex], you can use solve for theta again using separation of variables
  5. Jul 5, 2008 #4
    Alright, so:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{d\theta} \left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = C \sin \theta[/tex]

[tex]\left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = (C_{1} \cos \theta) + C_{2}[/tex]

[tex] \theta = \int \sqrt{(C_{1} \cos \theta)+C_{2}} dt [/tex]

How would I use separation of variables here?
  6. Jul 5, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By separating the variables before you integrate!
    [tex]\theta '= \sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C_2}[/tex]
    Where I have incorporated the "2C2[/sup]" into the unknown constant C2 (but not C1= 2C; C is a given number, not an unknown).

[tex]d\theta= \sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C_2}dt[/tex]
    [tex]\int \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C2}}= \int dt[/itex]

That integral on the left looks to me like an "elliptic integral" which cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions.
  7. Jul 5, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

That's not what you should get. You should have [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{c_1 - 2 \cos \theta}} d\theta = dt[/tex]

But I see a problem here. I don't know of a way to integrate the LHS.
  8. Jul 5, 2008 #7
    Thanks all. That helps. It's coming back, just slowly at times.
  9. Jul 5, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course, the traditional way to solve it is to make a small angle approximation, and forget about the cases where that isn't valid. :p
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?