Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sinusoidal Diff EQ

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\ddot{\Theta}=C \sin{\Theta}[/tex] where [tex]\Theta[/tex] is a function of time, and C is a constant.

I ran into this on a Lagrangian Equation problem, and though the problem doesn't ask for the solution, I'm wondering how one would solve this Diff EQ. I'm afraid my intro to Diff EQ class was a couple years back and I'm coming up short with any ideas.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2
    what function do you differentiate twice to get a sin with a constant in front?

4. Jun 21, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

You can solve this by noting that the second order derivative of theta is purely a function of theta alone. This means that [tex] \theta'' = f(\theta)[/tex]

By the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{d\theta} \left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = C \sin \theta[/tex]

This is separable and solvable. Once you have solved for [itex]\theta ' [/itex], you can use solve for theta again using separation of variables

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4
    Alright, so:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{d\theta} \left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = C \sin \theta[/tex]

[tex]\left( \frac{{\theta'}^2}{2} \right) = (C_{1} \cos \theta) + C_{2}[/tex]

[tex] \theta = \int \sqrt{(C_{1} \cos \theta)+C_{2}} dt [/tex]

How would I use separation of variables here?

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

By separating the variables before you integrate!
    [tex]\theta '= \sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C_2}[/tex]
    Where I have incorporated the "2C2[/sup]" into the unknown constant C2 (but not C1= 2C; C is a given number, not an unknown).

[tex]d\theta= \sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C_2}dt[/tex]
    [tex]\int \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{2C cos(\theta)+ C2}}= \int dt[/itex]

That integral on the left looks to me like an "elliptic integral" which cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

7. Jul 5, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

That's not what you should get. You should have [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{c_1 - 2 \cos \theta}} d\theta = dt[/tex]

But I see a problem here. I don't know of a way to integrate the LHS.

8. Jul 5, 2008 #7
    Thanks all. That helps. It's coming back, just slowly at times.

9. Jul 5, 2008 #8

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course, the traditional way to solve it is to make a small angle approximation, and forget about the cases where that isn't valid. :p

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook