Why is the electric potential equation incorrect in this paper?

In summary, the use of imaginary exponentials to describe oscillatory or wave motion of real quantities is a common practice that simplifies mathematical manipulations. However, it is important to remember to take either the real part or imaginary part at the end of a calculation to get the actual physically observable behavior. This procedure is often used in physics and electrical engineering, but can lead to confusion if not explained explicitly.
Apteronotus
In a paper I am reading it states that
since the electric potential (and field) have sinusoidal time dependence, then
[tex]\Phi(\textbf{x},t)=\Phi(\textbf{x})e^{i\omega t}[/tex]​

Why would this equation be true?

Why shoudnt the equations read
[tex]\Phi(\textbf{x},t)=Im(\Phi(\textbf{x})e^{i\omega t})[/tex]​

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using imaginary exponentials to describe oscillatory or wave motion of real quantities is an extremely common practice, because it simplifies many mathematical manipulations.

It's so common that most authors (except in introductory textbooks) assume that the reader knows that you have to take either the real part or the imaginary part at the end of a calculation, to get the actual physically observable behavior.

Thank you for your reply jtbell.

I'm not entirely sure that your statement is true in this particular case. Since upon taking the derivative of the potential with respect to [tex]t[/tex] the author arrives at:

[tex]

\frac{\partial\Phi(x,t)}{\partial t}(x,t)=i\omega\Phi(x)e^{i\omega t}

[/tex]

Had he assumed

[tex]
\Phi(x,t)=Im(\Phi(x)e^{i\omega t})
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\Phi(x,t)=Re(\Phi(x)e^{i\omega t})
[/tex]

the [tex]i[/tex] term would not be appearing in the answer to the partial derivative.

I am wondering if there is any physics that states that ...
a sinusoidal time dependent field can be represented by a complex function.

Electric potential is a real quantity, so it must actually be either a (real) sine or cosine. This method generalizes it to a complex exponential to simplify some of the math. At the end you "un-generalize" it by taking the real or imaginary part depending on whether you started out with a cosine or a sine. This procedure is so common that few authors spell out all the steps explicitly.

Starting with a real function in the form of a sine, for example, and making all the steps explicit:

[tex]\Phi = A \sin (\omega t)[/tex]

[tex]\Phi = I am (A e^{i \omega t})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt} = I am (i \omega A e^{i \omega t})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt} = I am (i \omega A (\cos (\omega t) + i \sin (\omega t)))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt} = I am (i \omega A \cos (\omega t) - \omega A \sin (\omega t))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d \Phi}{dt} = \omega A \cos (\omega t)[/tex]

In this case people often say simply, "let [itex]\Phi = A e^{i \omega t}[/itex]". This is sloppy and incorrect, strictly speaking, but people do it anyway.

Note also that, by convention, physics and electrical engineering texts usually use Real parts rather than Imaginary.

Right, I usually start with cosines so I use the real part. I did this example with the imaginary part because the first post used it.

Yes jtbell,
I see now what you alluded to earlier. I took quite a stumble on this. Thank you very very much.

1. What is a sinusoidal electric field?

A sinusoidal electric field is a type of alternating electric field that varies in a regular, repeating pattern. It is characterized by its sinusoidal shape, similar to a wave, and is often used in the study of electromagnetism.

2. How is a sinusoidal electric field created?

A sinusoidal electric field is created by a source of alternating current, such as a generator or an AC power supply. As the current flows back and forth, it creates a changing electric field with a sinusoidal pattern.

3. What are the properties of a sinusoidal electric field?

A sinusoidal electric field has several important properties, including its amplitude (or strength), frequency, and wavelength. It also has a direction, which is determined by the direction of the current that created it.

4. How is a sinusoidal electric field measured?

A sinusoidal electric field can be measured using an instrument called an oscilloscope. This device detects the changes in the electric field and displays them as a graph, allowing scientists to analyze its properties.

5. What are some applications of sinusoidal electric fields?

Sinusoidal electric fields have many practical applications, including in the transmission of electricity through power grids, in radio and television broadcasting, and in medical devices such as MRI machines. They are also used in research and experiments to study the behavior of electric fields.