Solving Sinusoidal Equations: Ferris Wheel Example

• Thread starter torrobinson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sinusoidal
In summary, this student's math teacher is weak and does not explain anything. They have her in 2 subjects and one says she is not great at helping understand and is more about telling the students how to do the steps.
torrobinson
I have a horrible math teacher this year: she merely shows the steps to solving a problem and doesn't help us understand why and how it works.

Homework Statement

I need to find the equation for the height of a ferris wheel as it spins. It has a radius of 30m, and a center 18m above ground. It completes a cycle in 60s. The graph starts at the minimum

I think I can write these when the x-axis is pi/2, pi, 2pi, etc. But now it's in seconds.

Max = 33m
min=3m

Amplitude is 15
Period is 60s

Homework Equations

y=AcosB(X-C)+D

The Attempt at a Solution

A=15
B= (cosine, so 2pi/60 or pi/30 ?)
C= (cosine, starting at min, so moved left or right over by 1/2 period so 30?
D= min is 3 meters above ground, so moved upwards period+3 , so 18??

y=15cos((pi/30)(X+30))+18

Now if my domain on my calculator is 0<x<60 and range 0<y<33 , then it looks good vertically, but it starts somewhere above 15 and not 3 ...not moved over enough.My math teacher is horrible and doesn't explain anything...please help!Edit: well that makes no sense. I graphed using an online calculator, and it worked fine. Then I tried on my calculator again and it was off. So I reset my calc. and tried again, and it worked. Is that still the correct answer ^ ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Teacher rage will get you nowhere. Sometimes you just have to live without them. Your answer y=15cos((pi/30)(X+30))+18 is already correct. Are you sure your calculator is set to use degrees instead of radians?

Dick said:
Teacher rage will get you nowhere. Sometimes you just have to live without them. Your answer y=15cos((pi/30)(X+30))+18 is already correct. Are you sure your calculator is set to use degrees instead of radians?

It was all set fine - I later figured it must have been a bracket error. (the next few questions that I stumbled on were correct after I made sure the "2pi/period" value was enclosed fully...

(But really: I actually have talked to about 10 people who have had her and share similar concerns. She's extremely nice, but her teaching style is..."weak" when compared to past Math teachers I've had and others I've heard of. I have her in 2 subjects - she's weak at helping us understand and is more about telling us how to memorize the steps. I don't know why I'm doing something, just how it's done. It's not the typical "I'm 17 and hate school derrrrrr" attitude - she is actually not that great of a teacher in certain areas.)

1. What is a sinusoidal equation?

A sinusoidal equation is a mathematical expression that represents a wave-like pattern, similar to the shape of a sine or cosine curve. It is commonly used to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves, ocean waves, and alternating current.

2. How is a ferris wheel example used to solve sinusoidal equations?

A ferris wheel is a real-life example of a sinusoidal equation, where the height of the riders on the wheel varies in a wave-like pattern as the wheel rotates. By analyzing the height of the riders at different points in time, we can create a sinusoidal equation and use it to solve for various values, such as the maximum height or the time it takes for one full rotation.

3. What are the steps to solve a sinusoidal equation using the ferris wheel example?

The first step is to identify the variables in the equation, such as the amplitude, period, and phase shift. Next, we use the given information, such as the height of the riders at certain times, to create an equation. Then, we solve for the unknown values by plugging in the known values and using algebraic techniques. Finally, we check our solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies all the given conditions.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving sinusoidal equations using the ferris wheel example?

One common mistake is not properly identifying the variables in the equation, which can lead to incorrect solutions. Another mistake is not using the correct formulas for amplitude, period, and phase shift. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Finally, it is crucial to double-check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. How can understanding sinusoidal equations be useful in real life?

Sinusoidal equations are used to model various real-life phenomena, such as the tides, sound waves, and the motion of a pendulum. Understanding these equations can help in fields such as engineering, physics, and even music. It allows us to predict and analyze behavior and make informed decisions based on the data and patterns we observe.