1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinusoidal Functions Help

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    image.jpg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A graph of y=f(x) is shown. Find the following function values and justify your answers.

f(30)=
    f(-14)=

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the graph is periodic, I know it's max and min, and I know it's amplitude because of that. But I don't know what the 30 or -14 is supposed to mean to me or how I'm suppose to "justify" my answer

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks to me like what you are supposed to conclude from the graph is that f(x+4)=f(x). That's periodic. So f(-14)=f(-10)=f(-6)=f(-2). The last value you can read off from the graph. Patterns like that.

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3
    f(30) and f(-14) are the values of the function calculated in x=30 and x=-14.
    You said that the graph is periodic, so it means that the graph repeat itself with perod 5.
    now you should obtain the two values.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4
    Yes, Dick is right, the period is 4

6. Mar 24, 2015 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(It is possible for you to Edit post #3. )

7. Mar 24, 2015 #6
    Now no more; I'll do it in future if I should realize in time to have to correct my post

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted