Sinusoidal Functions Help

In summary, a sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that describes a repeating wave-like pattern and is typically represented by the formula f(x) = A sin (Bx + C) + D. The difference between a sine and cosine function is that they have a 90-degree phase shift. To graph a sinusoidal function, you can plot points using the formula and the values of A, B, C, and D. Sinusoidal functions can model real-life phenomena such as sound waves, light waves, tides, and pendulum motion, and they can be used in problem-solving to analyze data and solve real-world problems related to waves, vibrations, and oscillations.
Sonny18n
image.jpg
1. Homework Statement

A graph of y=f(x) is shown. Find the following function values and justify your answers.

f(30)=
f(-14)=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the graph is periodic, I know it's max and min, and I know it's amplitude because of that. But I don't know what the 30 or -14 is supposed to mean to me or how I'm suppose to "justify" my answer[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sonny18n said:
View attachment 80886 1. Homework Statement
A graph of y=f(x) is shown. Find the following function values and justify your answers.

f(30)=
f(-14)=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the graph is periodic, I know it's max and min, and I know it's amplitude because of that. But I don't know what the 30 or -14 is supposed to mean to me or how I'm suppose to "justify" my answer[/B]

It looks to me like what you are supposed to conclude from the graph is that f(x+4)=f(x). That's periodic. So f(-14)=f(-10)=f(-6)=f(-2). The last value you can read off from the graph. Patterns like that.

f(30) and f(-14) are the values of the function calculated in x=30 and x=-14.
You said that the graph is periodic, so it means that the graph repeat itself with perod 5.
now you should obtain the two values.

Yes, Dick is right, the period is 4

Pierce610 said:
Yes, Dick is right, the period is 4
(It is possible for you to Edit post #3. )

Likes Pierce610
Now no more; I'll do it in future if I should realize in time to have to correct my post

Likes SammyS

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that describes a repeating wave-like pattern. It is typically represented by the formula f(x) = A sin (Bx + C) + D, where A, B, C, and D are constants that determine the amplitude, period, phase shift, and vertical shift of the function, respectively.

2. What is the difference between a sine function and a cosine function?

A sine function is a type of sinusoidal function that starts at the origin and moves upward, while a cosine function starts at its maximum value and moves downward. In other words, they are the same function but with a 90-degree phase shift.

3. How do you graph a sinusoidal function?

To graph a sinusoidal function, plot several points using the formula f(x) = A sin (Bx + C) + D. The value of B determines the period, or length of one cycle, of the function. The value of A determines the amplitude, or maximum height, of the function. The value of C determines the horizontal shift, and the value of D determines the vertical shift.

4. What real-life phenomena can be modeled using sinusoidal functions?

Some examples of real-life phenomena that can be modeled using sinusoidal functions include sound waves, light waves, tides, and the motion of a pendulum. Sinusoidal functions are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to analyze and predict data.

5. How can sinusoidal functions be used in problem-solving?

Sinusoidal functions can be used in problem-solving to model and analyze various situations. They can help determine maximum and minimum values, find the period and amplitude of a function, and predict future values based on known data. Additionally, sinusoidal functions can be used to solve real-world problems involving waves, vibrations, and oscillations.