1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinusoidal Motion

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    Can someone please explain the following equation:

x = A sin(wt)

where A = amplitude, w = angular velocity, t = time.

The way it's explained in my textbook is very confusing.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Well what in the equation is confusing you exactly?

Sinusoidal motion is basically a periodic motion. Every fixed amount of radians or time, the cycle repeats. This is seen if the graph is plotted.
  4. May 31, 2010 #3
    Umm, well the way they get the equation. The text says "we can derive a formula for the period of simple harmonic motion by comparing it to an object rotating in a circle"

How they get their variables, using the object rotating in a circle, is what I find confusing. For example: why choose "sin" when the object is at the equilibrium position (and t = 0)?
  5. May 31, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

If you inspect the graph of x=sint, you will see that at x=0, t= 0. Meaning that they are starting off with the object not moving from it's equilibrium position.

Had the stretched it to its maximum value, they'd use x=cos(t).

So essentially, starting from equilibrium position, use sine.

Starting from maximum position, use cosine.
  6. May 31, 2010 #5

I uploaded the picture from my text.

So what I was wondering, if the object is directly in the middle (x = 0), the "A" line would be straight up and down. Therefore, where does sin come in if there is no "x" to form a triangle like that in picture (a)?
  7. May 31, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

Normally, you displace the mass at an angle θ from the equilibrium position. This is done so that you can arrive at an equation of motion for the mass. It should be noted that, 'x' is a horizontal displacement, so 'x' will not be a sine but a cosine.

'A' is a constant radius is in the circle so if viewed from the side, the maximum distance the mass moves on either side of x=0 is A.

When x=0, you get Acosθ or θ=π/2. So if you view from the top (circle), you will see the mass directly above x=0. If you view from the side (harmonic motion) you will see the mass at x=0.
  8. May 31, 2010 #7
    Ok, but if you start at x = 0 (the equilibrium position) and then push the object, you use sine?

My book says, "If at t = 0 the object is at the equilibrium position and the oscillations are begun by giving the object a push to the right (+x), the equation would be:

x = A(sin)wt = A(sin)[2(pi)t/T]"

I understand the cosine; but just don't know why they use sine?
  9. May 31, 2010 #8

Homework Helper

Yes will it is just like how your book says, since t=0 should correspond to x=0, the only functions you have to use are sin(t) and cos(t), sin(t) fits this best.
  10. May 31, 2010 #9
    Ok, I think I can do good just memorizing that.

But Looking at the diagram I attached, if there is no "x" (because the "A" is perpendicular to the x-axis --> "A" is at the 12 o'clock position on the circle) where does sine come from? There should be no angle because there's no x value?
  11. May 31, 2010 #10

Homework Helper

In your diagram, you are measuring θ anti-clockwise, so at that position, x=0 when θ=π/2 radians or 90°.

But given how that diagram is drawn with the arrows as is, it looks like they started at x=A and then displaced (since the angle is drawn how it is), so for that motion, the equation would be x=Acosθ or x=Acosωt.

If they wanted to show the correct diagram for the sine motion, what they should have done was draw the angle measured from the 12 o'clock position. (as that would show x=Asinωt). OR they should have drawn the observer at the adjacent side of the table.
  12. Jun 1, 2010 #11
    Ok I think I got it. Thanks for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook