Sinusoidally oscillating spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of Hooke's Law in different situations and the calculation of elastic energy stored in a spring with a fixed end. The formula for elastic energy is derived from Hooke's Law and is only valid under certain circumstances. The conversation also touches on the idea of deformations beyond the elastic limit and how it affects the application of Hooke's Law. Finally, the conversation shifts to discussing standing waves and how to calculate the elastic energy in this scenario.
DaTario
According to Hooke's law [itex] F = k \delta x [/itex], and the energy stored in a certain configuration is [itex] E = \frac{1}{2} k (\delta x)^2 [/itex]

But it just so happens that this last formula is only valid if one of the ends of this spring if fixed. I would like to know the following:

What is the elastic energy stored in a spring with natural lengh 1 meter which is performing a sinusoidal oscillation of amplitude (peak to peak) 2 meters and elastic constant equal do 10 N / m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaTario said:
But it just so happens that this last formula is only valid if one of the ends of this spring if fixed.

What makes you think so? I would say it is the formula valid in any circumstance, where [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is the amount by which the spring is stretched past its relaxed lenght.

Consider the figure I have shown.
The lower end undergoes a displacement [itex] dx_1 [/itex] and thereby a longitudnal expansion [itex] dx_1 \cos {\theta _1} [/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read this in some place. I don't remember well. I shall look up. But I really see some disconfort when dealing with a spring which has deformations highly inhomogeneous as the ones we are likely to observe when we get the rope bouncing up and down in a sinusoidal shape (like those ropes children use to jump. Two of them hold the rope and a third stays in between them jumping as it rotates...).

Let's think the spring is set horizontally and animated by the second harmonic transverse vibration.

What would be the elastic energy stored in the spring ?(apart from the kinetic energy, of course).

DaTario said:
I have read this in some place. I don't remember well. I shall look up. But I really see some disconfort when dealing with a spring which has deformations highly inhomogeneous as the ones we are likely to observe when we get the rope bouncing up and down in a sinusoidal shape (like those ropes children use to jump. Two of them hold the rope and a third stays in between them jumping as it rotates...).

Again, you have attempted to connect two things that are not meant to go together. And you still haven't been able to make better citations of things you "read".

"spring which has defomations highly inhomogeneous" usually are NOT Hooke Law springs! Just a simple deformations beyond the elastic limit is enough to make Hooke's law not applicable.

And I'm puzzled how, in your first posting, that you could separate out the Hooke's Law force and the spring PE, and claim that the last one isn't valid under the case you're describing. Since when can the PE expression becomes invalid while the force remains valid? Did you not know that one can be derived from the other? You make one not valid, you also make the other not valid.

Zz.

Last edited:
hahahaha...you are following me.
Sorry. You are completelly right about this point. Force law and energy law are interdependent. But the lack of well defined references is a very bad habit, I agree with you. By the way, I don't mean to be rude with you with my comment on tunneling and interference (although I still think they are deeply correlated). Sorry. I have deep respect for you and for what you do.

I am referring here to a situation where the spring has an S shape because of its oscillation in a second hamonic having its two ends fixed. May be I will have to consider each small part of the spring an independent spring and work on this. Is that correct ? If so, is there any other road?

your comment about deformations beyond the elastic limit was already familiar to me.

DaTario said:
hahahaha...you are following me.

No, I'm not. I moderate this section of PF (along with Doc Al and other Mentors), so I pay more attention to it than other parts of PF. If you don't want me to "follow you", you can start posting in, let's say, the Philosophy section, for instance.

I am referring here to a situation where the spring has an S shape because of its oscillation in a second hamonic having its two ends fixed. May be I will have to consider each small part of the spring an independent spring and work on this. Is that correct ? If so, is there any other road?

Er... so you switched gears just like that and went to standing waves instead? Oy vey.

Zz.

I must say that your objections egarding the ways I am using to express my ideas are really wellcome. Thank you sincerelly.

I would like to check if my solution is ok. I took the sinusoidal shape of the spring, at rest, to be y = A*sin(kx)*sin(wt). At t=0 there is only elastic potential energy, which is the amount I am searching for. At t = 2Pi/w the string is horizontal and all its energy is in kinetic form. I supose that at this instant, all parts of the string are moving along the y-axis. Thus, by taking the derivative of y with respect to time at t= 2Pi/w, we get v_y(x). the diferential of kinetic energy is dE = (1/2) dm * (v_y(x))^2. Now dm equals lambda * dx. Integration in x, finally, solves the problem.

Is it ok?

thank you for the attention

DaTario

What is a sinusoidally oscillating spring?

A sinusoidally oscillating spring is a type of spring that undergoes regular, back-and-forth movement in a smooth, wave-like pattern. This type of motion is known as oscillation, and it occurs due to the spring being stretched and compressed by a force.

What causes a spring to oscillate sinusoidally?

A sinusoidally oscillating spring is caused by the application of a periodic force, which means a force that repeats itself at regular intervals. This force could come from a person pulling and releasing the spring, or from an external source like a machine or engine.

What are the applications of sinusoidally oscillating springs?

Sinusoidally oscillating springs have a wide range of applications, including in musical instruments, shock absorbers, and even in toys like Slinkys. They are also used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of oscillating systems.

What factors affect the oscillation of a spring?

The oscillation of a spring can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the oscillation. The force applied to the spring can also affect its oscillation.

How can the oscillation of a spring be measured?

The oscillation of a spring can be measured by recording the displacement of the spring over time using a device called an oscilloscope. The amplitude, frequency, and period of the oscillation can also be calculated using mathematical formulas.