1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinx/x x tends to 0

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    I know that as x tends to 0, (sinx)/x tends to 1. A post from GibZ got me thinking, would this be a proper proof of that:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} sinx[/tex] and so [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x} = 1 = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{sinx}{x}[/tex] ??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Sinx/x

No! Think about using your method to find
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} x[/tex] by writing [tex]x=\frac{ x^2 }{ x }[/tex]. Also the limit of a quotient is only the quotient of the limits when the bottom limit is nonzero!

Use L'Hospital!!!

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

Ah! That's the part I forgot! That the limit of a quotient is a quotient of limits only when the denominator isn't 0. I constructed a counter-example too to prove myself wrong in the previous post.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x = 0 [/tex] and so [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{x} = 1 = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{0}{x} = 0 [/tex] which obviously isn't true (because the denominator is tending to 0).

Thanks for the reply :)

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Why do people want to use L'Hospital on every problem? Is it because it is fun to say? L'Hospital is not needed.
    lim sin(x)/x=lim [sin(0+x)-sin(x)]/[(0+x)-0]=sin'(0)=1

We might want to compute the limit directly from the definition. For that we need to choose a definition.

def1:
    sin(x+y)=sin(x)cos(y)+cos(x)sin(y)
    cos(x+y)=cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y)
    cos(x)^2+sin(x)^2=1
    lim sin(x)/x=0

here the limit is included in the definition
    QED

def2:
    sin(x)=x-x^3/6+...

we can write
    sin(x)=sin(x)+sin'(0) x+sin''(0) x^2/2+sin'''(0) x^3/6+...
    equating like terms yields
    sin'(0)=1
    QED

def3:
    sin''(x)+sin(x)=0
    sin(0)=0
    sin'(0)=1

sin'(0)=1 is in the definition
    QED

def4:
    sin(x)/x=(1-[x/(1pi)]^2)(1-[x/(2pi)]^2)(1-[x/(3pi)]^2)(1-[x/(4pi)]^2)(1-[x/(5pi)]^2)...

lim sin(x)/x=(1-[0/(1pi)]^2)(1-[0/(2pi)]^2)(1-[0/(3pi)]^2)(1-[0/(4pi)]^2)(1-[0/(5pi)]^2)...
    =1
    QED

def5:
    various geometric junk from which it is noticed

for x small
    sin(2x)/(2x)<=cos(x)<=sin(x)/x<=1
    from which we conclude
    cos(0)<=lim sin(x)/x<=1
    lim sin(x)/x=1
    QED

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?