Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Siphon Question

1. May 11, 2016 #1
    What affects how fast the water come out of the tube?(size of tube, size of opening where the water enters, etc) thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. May 11, 2016 #3
    Well my first thought is that the size of the tube is what would affect the flow rate. So if I wanted to increase the flow rate I would have to increase size of the hose, but what I am not to sure about is could I make it flow faster just by increasing the size of the first part of the tube? I would have to imagine that to some degree if you had a big enough tube and connected to a smaller tube it would flow faster. Maybe not fast enough to be similar to what would come out of a hose bid, but I am thinking it should be faster because there would be more water "behind" the smaller tube. But then again I know for water to faster through a smaller tube there has to be enough pressure to behind the smaller tube to actually push the water and not just siphon water(basics of a pressure washer). So is it possible to increase the flow rate by just increasing part of the tube?

5. May 12, 2016 #4

berkeman

The pressure comes from the "head" or difference in heights of the two water surfaces. Using a bigger tube allows more water to flow for a given height difference. If the tube necks down, you still have the same pressure pushing the water, but less area to let the water flow through.

https://myelms.umd.edu/courses/969642/files/27532357?module_item_id=6128404

6. May 12, 2016 #5
    Well that sucks. Thanks for your help.

7. May 12, 2016 #6

berkeman

Funny double-meaning! :smile:
    you're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted