1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Siphoning gas find velocity

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    A siphon tube is filled with gasoline and closed at each end. One end is inserted into a gasoline tank 0.20 m below the surface of the gasoline. The outlet is placed outside the tank at a distance 0.45 m below the surface of the gasoline. The tube has an inner cross-sectional area of 3.8 × 10-4 m2. The density of gasoline is 680 kg/m3. Ignoring viscous effects, what is the velocity of the gasoline in the tube shortly after the tube is opened?

P1+.5*rho*v1^2+rho*g*y1=P2+.5*rho*v2^2+rho*g*y2
    1 atm = 1.05E5

So I plugged in 1.05E5+0 (because v at top=0)+680*9.8*-.2 = 1.05E5+.5*680*v2^2+680*9.8*-.44
    Completing this calculation gives v2= 2.17m/s which is incorrect. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

And to find the flow rate I would use the equation Q=Av and use the provided area given with the v discovered?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi smillphysics! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    but -.2 isn't the height at the top :wink:

Yup! :biggrin:

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    What is the height at the top? I then tried to put .45-.2=.25 and used that as the height at the top but that is also incorrect.

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    Any help on this would be great- I can't seem to find the correct y1 to use.

6. Jun 12, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi smillphysics! :smile:

(Sorry I didn't reply earlier :redface:)

y1 is at the surface

it doesn't matter where the top of the tube is, or what shape it is, the pressure at each height is the same. :wink:

7. Jun 12, 2009 #6
    I've used the same pressure at both points. I still don't know where I have gone wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook