1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sir & Madam Spam

1. Oct 28, 2003 #1
    Where do so many spammers get those universally alliterative, metric pseudonyms, i. e., "Gretchen Powers"?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2003 #2
    I guess I will be the first to say "huh"? :smile:

4. Nov 4, 2003 #3
    Compare the "personal" pseudonyms of spam senders.

Do you see any patterns? Usually Anglo, of certain meter, three or four syllables, nonreferential and alliterative; e. g., "Sam Speedman." Almost like names actors adopt.

5. Nov 4, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lo-ren Boo-da?

- Warren

6. Nov 4, 2003 #5

Eh

I find it amusing when I receive mail from spammers who can't even spell their names correctly. But then, I don't think anyone ever insisted that much intelligence is required to be a spammer. Fortunately, there is software that will not only harvest thousands of e-mails from websites but also write the e-mail for these poor idiots. So spammers using spam software are likely going to use a name they can actually spell, which may rule out most normal names.

7. Nov 5, 2003 #6
    Are there any numbers as to how many organizations and/or individuals there are engaged in this activity?

8. Nov 5, 2003 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard the figure that upwards of 70% of spam is actually the work of just one organization. This organization is composed of one man and a LOT of overseas computers.

- Warren

9. Nov 5, 2003 #8

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If that's the case, I'd say we've just found the perfect target for tamohawk missile target practice...

10. Nov 5, 2003 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Nov 5, 2003 #10
    Fascinating, I had no idea, and thank you for the information.

LOL, that is really funny. The mug shot makes him look like a character from a Drug Cartel, haha.

[edited for a thanks]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?