Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sir & Madam Spam

1. Oct 28, 2003 #1
    Where do so many spammers get those universally alliterative, metric pseudonyms, i. e., "Gretchen Powers"?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2003 #2
    I guess I will be the first to say "huh"? :smile:

4. Nov 4, 2003 #3
    Compare the "personal" pseudonyms of spam senders.

Do you see any patterns? Usually Anglo, of certain meter, three or four syllables, nonreferential and alliterative; e. g., "Sam Speedman." Almost like names actors adopt.

5. Nov 4, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lo-ren Boo-da?

- Warren

6. Nov 4, 2003 #5

Eh

I find it amusing when I receive mail from spammers who can't even spell their names correctly. But then, I don't think anyone ever insisted that much intelligence is required to be a spammer. Fortunately, there is software that will not only harvest thousands of e-mails from websites but also write the e-mail for these poor idiots. So spammers using spam software are likely going to use a name they can actually spell, which may rule out most normal names.

7. Nov 5, 2003 #6
    Are there any numbers as to how many organizations and/or individuals there are engaged in this activity?

8. Nov 5, 2003 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard the figure that upwards of 70% of spam is actually the work of just one organization. This organization is composed of one man and a LOT of overseas computers.

- Warren

9. Nov 5, 2003 #8

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If that's the case, I'd say we've just found the perfect target for tamohawk missile target practice...

10. Nov 5, 2003 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Nov 5, 2003 #10
    Fascinating, I had no idea, and thank you for the information.

LOL, that is really funny. The mug shot makes him look like a character from a Drug Cartel, haha.

[edited for a thanks]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?