Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sir Roger Penrose

1. Apr 10, 2014 #1

wolram

Gold Member

http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/04/04/2014/sir-roger-penrose-cosmic-inflation-is-fantasy.html

What does Sir Roger know that others do not.

Sir Roger Penrose calls string theory a "fashion," quantum mechanics "faith," and cosmic inflation a "fantasy." Coming from an armchair theorist, these declarations might be dismissed. But Penrose is a well-respected physicist who co-authored a seminal paper on black holes with Stephen Hawking. What's wrong with modern physics—and could alternative theories explain our observations of the universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sir Roger does not fear stepping outside the box. Did you see his paper on consciousness? He espoused the neuron is a quantum computer capable of holding enormous information - enough to create a mind.

4. Apr 10, 2014 #3

Ken G

Gold Member

Apparently, if quantum mechanics is faith, then it is his own faith!

5. Apr 10, 2014 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a paper discussing the concept http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/penrose-hameroff/consciousevents.html [Broken], it is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Apr 11, 2014 #5

Ken G

Gold Member

Max Tegmark calculated that the physical scales of a microtubule doesn't even approach the quantum domain, but unfortunately I don't have the reference. Still, Penrose is an amazing intellect, I would never take any of his ideas lightly.

7. Apr 11, 2014 #6

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

He was well-respected. He did a lot of important work in decades past. Essentially anybody who studies General Relativity these days knows his name.

But sadly, I think he's spent that respect. It's really unfortunate, but he seems to have become rather divorced from reality. It's really too bad.

8. Apr 11, 2014 #7
    Why do I feel I just listened to a political babble after reading that article lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Apr 11, 2014 #8

strangerep

Science Advisor

Amazing intellect? Yes, I'm sure.

But unfortunately, if an idea doesn't yield edible fruit (i.e., experimentally testable predictions) within a reasonable time, it doesn't matter how smart its creator might be.

About the "quantum consciousness" stuff...
    $$\text{MD} + \text{mathematician} ~\ne~ \text{physicist} ~. $$

10. Apr 11, 2014 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Does he have some new theory, Twistors are new to me?

"Twistor" Theory Reignites the Latest Superstring Revolution
    USF Department of Mathematics: Sir Roger Penrose lecture
    Discover Interview: Roger Penrose Says Physics Is Wrong, From String Theory to Quantum Mechanics
    (video) Roger Penrose on Twistors and Quantum Non-Locality

11. Apr 11, 2014 #10
    Whether or not Penrose criticisms of string theory, Qm and inflation are good criticisms have nothing to do with his own ideas of consciousness. Even if the latter ideas are total nonsense it does not make his criticisms any less valid.
    I think the phrases "fashion/faith/fantasy" are obvious hyperbole but we have to admit there are difficult foundational issues with all of these paradigms. Of course any alternatives need to fit within the existing framework of evidence. For QM that's over whelming , for inflation its growing (lets see if BICEP2 holds up or not, we should know by the end of the year) and string theory seems yet to achieve anything on this front.
    I was interested to hear Penrose claim about b modes. if I remember correctly he said primordial magnetic fields could produce such a signal. I have never heard that before, maybe Im remembering the interview wrong.

12. Apr 11, 2014 #11

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Yes, well, reality isn't easy to understand. Why should it be?

13. Apr 11, 2014 #12
    Im not saying it should be.

14. Apr 12, 2014 #13
    .... If you sum up QM. It is best fit with faith somehow.

15. May 11, 2014 #14
    For those who wish to criticize Sir Roger Penrose:
    ( Sir Roger Penrose OM FRS, is an English mathematical physicist, recreational mathematician and philosopher. He is the Emeritus Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics at the Mathematical Institute of the University of Oxford, as well as an Emeritus Fellow of Wadham College )
    Below is one person who has some contra-views :

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?MistakesOfRogerPenrose

If one reviews the above, it can be seen that , apart from a substantial academic career, he is also a philosopher. This is a person engaged or learned in philosophy, especially as an academic discipline.

From Roget's Thesaurus:
    synonyms: thinker, theorist, theorizer, theoretician, philosophizer, metaphysicist, metaphysician, epidemiologist, dialectician, logician; speculator, hypothesizer, seeker after truth, dreamer; scholar, intellect, intellectual, learned person, sage, wise man, Solomon, guru, pundit.
    So could we give the revered gentleman some credit?
    After all, he is not young enough to know everything....!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  16. May 11, 2014 #15
    Most physicists have faith in a particular interpretation of QM and little or no faith in another or others despite the fact that they can't be distinguised by experiment. Penrose isn't doubting the formalism as tested thus far. His main objection to QM is that we have an incomplete understanding of measurement in QM, since the unitary evolution of the wavefunction must also include the measuring apparatus. He has postulated a mechanism for how quantum gravity plays the role wavefunction collapse and made testable predictions based upon it, which could be tested within a realistic time horizon. What he's talking about isn't as controversial as it first might look.

This isn't the full story. There's a sequence of papers starting with Tegmark's paper which you refer to, that I posted in the following thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=748536

Briefly, since Tegmark's paper, we have mounting evidence that biology has indeed mastered coherent quantum states, including experimental measurements of them in microtubules. It's perhaps a little early so say that Penrose was right, but his argument is in a much stronger position than ever.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. May 11, 2014 #16

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Yes, he has had a great career, at least in his younger life. But the way that he dealt with this conformal cyclic cosmology idea has been, well, pretty horrible. I wouldn't expect a decent Bachelor's physics student to make the mistakes he made.

18. May 11, 2014 #17
    Just because someone is highly intelligent, well-informed, and even knows considerable advanced mathematics doesn't preclude human comfort zones and their influence on confidence. Although Einstein finally came around, Fred Hoyle, a highly accomplished scientist responsible for seminal physics in nucleosynthesis, coined the (derogatory) phrase "Big Bang" and fought it essentially till the day he died (2001), even after MWB and Quasar distribution, etc. gathered extreme momentum in the foundations of what we now call The Standard Model.

As Lee Smolin has pointed out we are about to see a lot of "shipwrecks" very soon and continuing for a decade at least because of new technologies. Who would have guessed that a monumental Gamma Ray Burst would have provided a "drag race" for photons that would so thoroughly send so many "foamers" back to the drawing board? and this is just the beginning. We certainly live in trying but exhilarating times.

19. May 13, 2014 #18
    Twistors are from about 30 years ago and didn't catch on, but now Witten endorses them so there is a fad.

20. May 13, 2014 #19
    GOTO:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00668831

Or:
    Abstract:
    "The formalism of twistors [the ‘spinors’ for the group O(2,4)] is employed to give a concise expression for the solution of the zero rest-mass field equations, for each spin (s=0, 1/2, 1, ...), in terms of an arbitrary complex analytic functionf(Z α) (homogeneous of degree −2s −2). The four complex variablesZ α are the components of a twistor. In terms of twistor space (C-picture) it is analytic structure which takes the place of field equations in ordinary Minkowski space-time (M-picture). By requiring that the singularities off(Z α) form a disconnected pair of regions in the upper half of twistor space, fields of positive frequency are generated.

The twistor formalism is adapted so as to be applicable in curved space-times. The effect of conformai curvature in theM-picture is studied by consideration of plane (-fronted) gravitational ‘sandwich’ waves. TheC-picture still exists, but its complex structure ‘shifts’ as it is ‘viewed’ from different regions of the space-time. A weaker symplectic structure remains. The shifting of complex structure is naturally described in terms of Hamiltonian equations and Poisson brackets, in the twistor variablesZ α, Z¯α . This suggests the correspondence Z¯α=∂/∂Zα as a basis for quantization. The correspondence is then shown to be, in fact, valid for the Hubert space of functionsf(Z α), which give the above twistor description of zero rest-mass fields. For this purpose, the Hubert space scalar product is described in (conformally invariant) twistor terms. The twistor expressions for the charge and the mass, momentum and angular momentum (both in ‘inertial’ and ‘active’ versions, in linearised theory) are also given.

It is suggested that twistors may supply a link between quantum theory and space-time curvature. On this view, curvature arises whenever a ‘shift’ occurs in the interpretation of the twistor variablesZ α, Z¯α as the twistor ‘position’ and ‘momentum’ operators, respectively.

• This work was partly carried out during the author's five-month stay at Cornell University."

21. May 14, 2014 #20

I agree that we should maintain a level of skepticism on many advanced Physics theories until there is a large amount of independently verified reliable proof. Lets not forget that the cmbr is just a radio signal and the most incredible pantheon of theories have been built on its back. Penrose is right to shake and stir the pot imho.

I also agree with Lee Smolin where he has pointed out we are about to see a lot of "shipwrecks" very soon and continuing for a decade at least because of new technologies.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted