SIR2: Could a Gene Extend Human Lifespan 6x?

In summary, SIR2, a gene found in yeast and other organisms, has been shown to extend lifespan by up to 6 times in certain studies. This gene is thought to play a key role in regulating cellular metabolism and promoting longevity by increasing the activity of sirtuins, a family of enzymes involved in DNA repair and stress response. While further research is needed to fully understand the potential of SIR2 in extending human lifespan, these findings offer promising insights into the aging process and potential ways to delay it.
bioquest
Could the exclusion of the SIR2 gene lengthen the human lifespan 6 times? it's been shown to lengthen lifespan like that in animals such as worms right?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think I misread/was thinking about the wrong gene

Apparently SIRone gene suppresses longevity and SIRone deficient cells divide indefinetly and appear normal/cancer free? Does anyone have any more information on this?
Is the correct name for the gene that suppresses longevity, and whose cells, when empty of the gene divide indefinetly and appear normal/cancer free the SIRone gene? I think they've done this in mice cells?

Last edited:
Here's the website I found it on, after using google like 20 times to re-find the page

http://www.biotech-weblog.com/50226711/sirt1_gene_suppresses_longevity.php

Last edited by a moderator:

What is SIR2?

SIR2, or silent information regulator 2, is a gene that plays a role in regulating lifespan in many organisms, including humans.

How does SIR2 affect lifespan?

SIR2 has been shown to protect cells from damage and slow down the aging process. It does this by regulating gene expression and repairing damaged DNA.

Can SIR2 extend human lifespan by 6x?

While studies in lower organisms have shown that SIR2 can significantly extend lifespan, the effects in humans are still unclear. More research is needed to determine if SIR2 can actually extend human lifespan by 6x.

How is SIR2 related to calorie restriction?

Calorie restriction has been shown to activate SIR2 and increase its activity. This is one potential mechanism by which calorie restriction may lead to increased lifespan in some organisms.

Are there any potential risks of activating SIR2?

Some research has suggested that overexpression of SIR2 may have negative effects on health, such as increased risk of cancer. More studies are needed to fully understand the potential risks and benefits of activating SIR2.