Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sirloin Patty

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    If I buy a sirloin patty to make a burger, is that better for me than ground chuck? Also if I pressed it between paper roll to get the grease off does that significantly decrease the fat content? I like making my own burgers and have rationalized this as a healthier option than going to burger king.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

No, sirloin is not healthier than chuck, just more expensive. If you want ground beef, you don't need the tender, less-flavorful cuts to make it. Shoulder cuts, flank, etc are just fine and make tastier burgers than loin cuts. Most meat counters will sell you lean burger if you want it. If you want to grill your burger, it is nice to have fat in the mix, since it helps the burger hold together on the grill. Lot of the fat renders out of the burger during cooking.

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's just something wrong with the title of this thread.

I can't help thinking I'd rather date Sirloin Patty than Ground Chuck. That and wondering how she got the nickname, "Sirloin".

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4
    If you have a meat grinder you can buy a very lean cut of beef, grind it up, and use bread crumbs and an egg to help hold the meat together.

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

True. Chuck, neck roasts, etc can be very cheap. Not a lot of people have their own heavy-duty meat-grinders at home these days, though my wife and I have always had one. First, an old hand-cranked one, and for the last 20+ years, a heavy-duty Kitchenaid mixer with a grinder attachment. That heavy mixer is just one step below the restaurant-grade Hobart line, and is not something you often see in people's kitchens unless they are really serious about cooking.

That said, the meat counters around here will gladly pass a cheap, lean cut through the grinder for you at a slight charge, with or without added suet.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Mar 24, 2010 #6
    I use the the Lean, Mean, George Foreman Grilling Machine. It sucks the fat out of a tennis shoe, thus making everything health to eat.

8. Mar 24, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Sure! Just look at George for proof!

9. Mar 24, 2010 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That only works if you like well-done burgers. :yuck: By the way, lean beef mixed up with bread crumbs and egg are what I call meatballs...only edible if you drown them in sauce.

And makes everything taste about the same as a tennis shoe, too.

10. Mar 24, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

True, true, and true. It seems we have some PF denizens that don't know how to cook, or at least don't know how to cook meat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook