LaTeX Problems? Solutions to Formulae Cutting Off

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary: Vista PC running Internet Explorer 11. So it appears to be a problem with Firefox (version 47.0.1).In summary, there have been reports of issues with LaTeX formulas being cut off or distorted, but it seems to be a browser-related problem. Some users have found success with refreshing the page or signing out and back in, while others have noted that the issue may be caused by large images in the post. Further investigation is needed to determine the root cause of the problem.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing - that formulae written with LaTex are often partly cut off, to the point of becoming ambiguous or even unreadable sometimes, and can anything be done about it, either individually or at Central Office?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not seeing any issues with LaTeX formulas. The usual first thing to try in such a case would be to refresh the page in your browser, and if that doesn't work, try signing out and then signing back in again.

Does (align)
\begin{align*}
0<(3-a^2)^2 &\Longrightarrow 0<36-24a^2+4a^4 \\
&\Longrightarrow -3a^4+12a^2<36-12a+a^4=(6-a^2)^2\\
& \Longrightarrow 3a^2(4-a^2) <(6-a^2)^2
\end{align*}
one of (dollars)
$$
0<(3-a^2)^2 \Longrightarrow 0<36-24a^2+4a^4 \Longrightarrow -3a^4+12a^2<36-12a+a^4=(6-a^2)^2 \Longrightarrow 3a^2(4-a^2) <(6-a^2)^2
$$
these examples reflect (sharps) ##
0<(3-a^2)^2 \Longrightarrow 0<36-24a^2+4a^4 \Longrightarrow -3a^4+12a^2<36-12a+a^4=(6-a^2)^2 \Longrightarrow 3a^2(4-a^2) <(6-a^2)^2 ## what you meant?

PeterDonis said:
I'm not seeing any issues with LaTeX formulas. The usual first thing to try in such a case would be to refresh the page in your browser, and if that doesn't work, try signing out and then signing back in again.
Refreshing did not cure it. I signed out, then viewing a page as non-member it ws OK. I signed back in again and the defect came back. It is happening to my last post but I have seen it on others recently.

Yes that's the one. I have now just noticed that that I get the right thing back when I widen the page. Something that had never presented itself till a few days ago.

I've been seeing the bottoms of integral signs cut off as well. But it may only be on my old PC at work (running Windows Vista). I'll see if it happens on my Win 10 laptop at home...

So far I don't see the problem today with my Win10 laptop and Firefox
at home. I'll check it with my older Vista PC and Firefox at work tomorrow.
epenguin said:
Yes that's the one. I have now just noticed that that I get the right thing back when I widen the page. Something that had never presented itself till a few days ago.
Interesing. I'll try that as well. What Windows version are you using, and which Browser/version.

Fresh_42, your dollar line is cut off in the middle of the plus after the 12a; on the other hand I can slide the last part leftwards into view. Your last formula extens right out of the page, something I have never seen before, but it again I can slide it into view.

I did not mean that - I had been seeing characters and whole formulae mutilated, but it seems I have it back under control now. Thanks to you all.

I
berkeman said:

Interesing. I'll try that as well. What Windows version are you using, and which Browser/version.
I'm using an iPad with IOS14.

It seems to be (somewhat) browser related. I am using a mouse with a scroll wheel set to zoom the browser contents.

The equation in post #3 above will extend a varying length past the right edge of the text window depending on the zoom level. The text is correctly placed, but the equation doesn't wrap to fit the window.

This also occurs with (and others):
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ool-to-a-container.995481/page-2#post-6413318

Cheers,
Tom

DrClaude said:
Yes, that illustrates exactly the sort of thing I'm seeing.

I am wondering whether the problem on my post in question might also be caused by the rather large pictures I have there. I am not very handy with posting pictures and these are too big anyway, but I can't see to it immediately and will do so later.

DrClaude said:
@Greg Bernhardt, any news from the MathJax developers?
Nothing. Last update was end of August. I'll send them an email.

fresh_42 said:
The pictures, which are not rendered by MathJax, are as they are seen. I.e. if you download them, they are already damaged. I guess, that there is either a problem with the source, or one of the upload procedures, which ever had been used.
The pictures are screen shots I took.

berkeman said:
It looks like the issue I'm seeing is unique to my old Vista PC at work (running Firefox):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solid-angle-integration.995638/

1604584772826.png

Renders fine with Windows 10 and Firefox, too.

latex.png

1. How can I prevent my formulae from being cut off in LaTeX?

One solution is to use the \displaystyle command before the formula to increase the vertical spacing and allow it to fit on the page. Another option is to use the \resizebox command to resize the formula so it fits within the page margins.

2. Why are my formulae being cut off in LaTeX?

This is likely due to the default page margins in LaTeX. If your formula is too wide to fit within these margins, it will be cut off. You can adjust the margins using the \usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry} command.

3. Can I adjust the font size of my formulae in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \fontsize{size}{skip} command before the formula to adjust the font size. The size parameter specifies the desired font size, and the skip parameter specifies the vertical spacing between lines.

4. How can I ensure my formulae are centered on the page in LaTeX?

You can use the \centering command before the formula to center it on the page. Alternatively, you can use the \begin{center} ... \end{center} environment around the formula to achieve the same result.

5. Are there any packages or tools specifically designed to address formula cutting off in LaTeX?

Yes, there are several packages such as mathtools and amsmath that provide additional commands and options for formatting and displaying formulae in LaTeX. You can also use online tools such as CodeCogs Equation Editor to generate properly formatted formulae for your LaTeX document.