1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sites containing original problems

1. May 18, 2003 #1
    Does anyone know of any sites that have original textbook like problems for math/physics/chemistry that one could do? I seem to be running out of problems in my text, some of these that I have done more than a few times, its like I am not really doing them anymore, I just recognize the numbers I got before! So I need new ones. Right now I need something with elementary differential equations, but any site containing problems for the above mentioned subjects would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will,

I don't know of any problems online, but a good inexpensive source of solved problems and unsolved problems with answers is Schaum's Outlines. For your specific course, there are two:

*Differential Equations
    *Modern Introductory Differential Equations

Both are great, especially the latter. You might also find the following Schaum's outlines helpful:

*Laplace Transforms
    *Fourier Analysis with Applications to Boundary Value Problems

The first one is especially good, and highly relevant to a first course in ODE's.

4. May 19, 2003 #3
    Thanks. I have heard about them, I will have take a closer look. The ones you are talking about are those laminated sheets, with just a few pages, right?
    So what do you think about those REA solution guides? I have one for physics, it is awesome. Over 1100 pages chock full of worked problems, from general non-calculus based all the way to wicked DFQ type problems and modern physics!

5. May 19, 2003 #4
    Tom, old soul, you could start a course on differential equations if you want.

6. May 23, 2003 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, these are 100+ pages and cost about $15 a pop.

They're big, heavy, and expensive. I have not reviewed the content, because they are usually on the rack right next to the Schaum's.

7. May 23, 2003 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the last time, 30 is not old, goddammit!

The real issue is time. I wanted to start a bunch of summer courses, but it doesn't look like I can. At the time I posted that poll, I had just had a good job interview, and it looked like I was in there, but I haven't heard back from them. So, I'm still stuck at my crappy temp job, working a ton of OT to pay the bills.

Maybe next summer....

8. May 23, 2003 #7
    well if I started one I could probably not get farther than the Laplace transform, but it would be a good thing to have at PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?