Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sites containing original problems

1. May 18, 2003 #1
    Does anyone know of any sites that have original textbook like problems for math/physics/chemistry that one could do? I seem to be running out of problems in my text, some of these that I have done more than a few times, its like I am not really doing them anymore, I just recognize the numbers I got before! So I need new ones. Right now I need something with elementary differential equations, but any site containing problems for the above mentioned subjects would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will,

I don't know of any problems online, but a good inexpensive source of solved problems and unsolved problems with answers is Schaum's Outlines. For your specific course, there are two:

*Differential Equations
    *Modern Introductory Differential Equations

Both are great, especially the latter. You might also find the following Schaum's outlines helpful:

*Laplace Transforms
    *Fourier Analysis with Applications to Boundary Value Problems

The first one is especially good, and highly relevant to a first course in ODE's.

4. May 19, 2003 #3
    Thanks. I have heard about them, I will have take a closer look. The ones you are talking about are those laminated sheets, with just a few pages, right?
    So what do you think about those REA solution guides? I have one for physics, it is awesome. Over 1100 pages chock full of worked problems, from general non-calculus based all the way to wicked DFQ type problems and modern physics!

5. May 19, 2003 #4
    Tom, old soul, you could start a course on differential equations if you want.

6. May 23, 2003 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, these are 100+ pages and cost about $15 a pop.

They're big, heavy, and expensive. I have not reviewed the content, because they are usually on the rack right next to the Schaum's.

7. May 23, 2003 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the last time, 30 is not old, goddammit!

The real issue is time. I wanted to start a bunch of summer courses, but it doesn't look like I can. At the time I posted that poll, I had just had a good job interview, and it looked like I was in there, but I haven't heard back from them. So, I'm still stuck at my crappy temp job, working a ton of OT to pay the bills.

Maybe next summer....

8. May 23, 2003 #7
    well if I started one I could probably not get farther than the Laplace transform, but it would be a good thing to have at PF.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook