Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sites (Lasers & X - rays)

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know where I can find sites that explain how lasers & X - rays are related to the quantum mechanical model.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lasers amplify light by stimulated emission and rely on population inversion. You could try finding out more about that, or ask in more detail what you'd like to know?

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    I found some information but I don't get it.

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you'd be more specific to what you want to know, it will be easier to give an answer.

Lasers work by initially exciting electrons from a low-energy orbital to a higher-energy orbital. Normally in a two-level system (with ground state E0 and excited state E1) the energy of the electron would be lost by the emission of a photon and no amplification would occur. Lasers use special three-level materials (with an intermediate state E2) that prevent the electron from going back to its ground state.

Since the process from E1 to E2 is slower than the process from E0 to E1 population inversion will take place, where the number of atoms in the excited state is greater than the number of atoms in the ground state.

Now, when you shine light on a molecule with excited electron two photons will be released with identical characteristics (frequency and direction): light amplification. In a laser the light bounces back and forth through the material until it is finally released through a hole.

You can look at http://science.howstuffworks.com/laser.htm for more information. Oh, it is good to know that laser stands for "light amplified by stimulated emission radiation' and that the concept comes from the work of Einstein.

6. Mar 2, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll move this to the quantum physics forum.

7. Mar 2, 2005 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?