Sitting Comfortably: Health & Best Position for Work, Study & Meditation

• Thread starter Spirit
  • Start date
In summary, the best sitting position for work, study, and meditation is to sit straight with your weight on your upper thighs.
Spirit
So hi,

What do you think about how healthy is putting our backs on the back of the chairs while sitting?

and further, what do you think is the best sitting position for work, study, meditation/pray

P.S: I have problem keep myself sitting on a chair for +15 to study, its either sth wrong with the chair, or with me, but the most important is i must handle it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine that sitting is not the problem as much as this 15 hour stretch. Even including lying down, I cannot think of any position that is healthy for 15 hours in a row. You have to move. At least use a variety of chairs if you must remain seated this long every day.

I hope you mean 15 mins. The whole point of the back of the chair is so that you can keep your back straight. If you can't sit for more than 15 mins, I would suggest going to the gym and doing back hyperextensions for to strengthen your lower back.

Ah of course, 15 minutes it a whole 'nother thing. It doesn't really matter what chair you're talking about, if you cannot sit on ANYTHING for just fifteen minutes then you have a significant problem as a student. Then yes, hit the gym, do back stretches and crunches among other things (it worked great for me) and speak with the gym staff for informed advice. Oh yeah, talk to your physician first!

Get a chair with good lumbar support, and sit straight, don't slouch! Proper posture for comfortably sitting a long time should put more weight onto your upper thighs than onto the back end of your butt so you aren't stressing your back so much.

But, as the others said, if you can't even sit for 15 min, then you should see a doctor and make sure you don't have some underlying back problem. If that checks out, then yep, exercise should help...strengthen your back and abs at the same time...both sets of muscles help maintain balance and good posture...if either is weak, you will be prone to back pains.

I can't stand to put my upper back against the chair like I'm told to. To do that, I need to arch my back, which sort of makes my pelvis roll forward, then I'm putting pressure on my genitals. Whoever thought to sit like that is a retard.

What is the best position for sitting comfortably?

The best position for sitting comfortably varies depending on the activity you are doing. For work or study, it is recommended to sit with your feet flat on the floor, your back supported by the chair, and your knees at a 90-degree angle. For meditation, it is best to sit on a cushion with your legs crossed and your back straight.

What are the health benefits of sitting comfortably?

Sitting comfortably in the correct position can help prevent back pain, improve posture, and reduce strain on the neck and shoulders. It can also improve blood circulation and reduce fatigue, leading to better overall health and well-being.

How can I maintain good posture while sitting?

To maintain good posture while sitting, it is important to sit up straight with your shoulders relaxed and your back supported. Avoid slouching or leaning forward, and make sure your feet are flat on the floor. Taking breaks to stand up and stretch can also help maintain good posture.

What are some tips for sitting comfortably for long periods of time?

To sit comfortably for long periods of time, it is important to take regular breaks to stand up and stretch. Make sure your workstation is set up ergonomically, with your computer screen at eye level and your keyboard and mouse within easy reach. It can also be helpful to use a lumbar support cushion for your lower back and take short walks throughout the day.

Is there a specific time limit for sitting comfortably?

There is no specific time limit for sitting comfortably, as it varies from person to person. However, it is recommended to take breaks and change positions at least every 30 minutes to prevent stiffness and muscle strain. It is also important to listen to your body and adjust your position if you start to feel discomfort.