Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Situatons

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    Wierd situations that uve been in.

My best was sitting in the middle of a slough trading estate in a carpark on an abandoned sofa in the blazing sunshine in the middle of febuary smoking a doobie :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I witnessed a murder.

4. Feb 8, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

eh jakkes, really?
    I only get in weird situation in my dreams..

5. Feb 8, 2004 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

Evo! Good grief!! What? When? Who? How do you DEAL with something like that?

I've had to perform CPR on patients more than once. Each time the whole scene just seemed SO surreal... I have so many tragedies in my ER memory banks that fit this description that I couldn't possibly list them all.

6. Feb 8, 2004 #5

jimmy p

Gold Member

...it was my first day of work experience in a hospital, basically i had to shadow a consultant surgeon and his team. We were doing the morning rounds the last one was this old guy. Anyway, the round ended and we went to the doctors lounge to relax. About 10 minutes later the bleeper went for a us to get to the word with the old man in. We got there in time to watch the old man have a heart attack, this guy that i had laughed with and talked to died in front of my eyes...it was an... odd... feeling.

7. Feb 8, 2004 #6

Evo

I didn't know the person.

When I was 14, my best friend & I went one night to a rather seedy part of town to listen to some local "underground" bands. Her parents were at a party, so she took her dad's car and we went out.

It was cold and rather deserted. The only people outside was us and a guy on the other side of the street.

We were near an intersection. I saw a car go through the intersection filled with people and one guy hanging out of the rear window holding a long thin object. The car backfired.

Suddenly the guy across the street who had just been standing there started staggering down the sidewalk then fell face down on the pavement. We commented on how stoned the guy must be.

We walked across the street and up to where he was lying and that's when we saw the blood. Just then another couple came out of a bar a few feet away and they realized the guy was bleeding profusely and started screaming for someone to call an ambulance. They asked us if we saw what happened and we said no because my girlfriend was not supposed to be out and would have never seen the light of day if her parents found out.

It wasn't until I saw the blood that I realized what I had seen. The guy hanging out of the back window of the car was holding a shotgun, the car didn't backfire, it was a gunshot.

8. Feb 8, 2004 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

That's just creepy. Didn't you ever tell anyone? (still waiting for my PM to be resent...:smile:)

9. Feb 8, 2004 #8

Evo

No, we figured better to keep it quiet, my friend's parents would have grounded her until the end of time.

ooops, on it's way!!

10. Feb 8, 2004 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

Did they ever find who shot him? Or was this 'just another event' in the life of the big city that, as a teen, you didn't really think much about after it happened?

Cool. Checking for it now...

11. Feb 8, 2004 #10
    When somebody pointed a gun at me, me and a friend where walking home from a party late one night when someone ran up to us and pointed a gun at the 2 of us, he then shouted "give me your money mother*******"(very origional i thought) to which i replied "i aint got no ******* money" not the best of things to say but it was true. He then panicked and ran off. It was only a few minutes after that we realised how serious it could have been but in the heat of the moment neither of us where perticuarly bothered.

A few hours later down the police station we where told that it was only a BB gun but in the dark of the night we couldnt see what it was.

The weird thing was that i always thoguht i would **** myself if someone pointed a gun at me, but it was only after he had gone that i started ****ing myself.

12. Feb 8, 2004 #11

Evo

I thought about saying something, but all I could have described for the police was that "it was a beat up old chevy full of Mexicans". There's only like what, a million of those driving around Houston, Tx? I couldn't even tell the color of the car because it was dark. The police would not be likely to have put much effort into a murder in that part of town, unless the victim was important, which he wasn't.

Wow, that is scary. It's true, it's not until "after" the event that it all starts to sink in.

13. Feb 8, 2004 #12
    I've gotten into fights when I was younger, but I never started it, just defending myself.

And another, my folks and I was held up at gunpoint once but fortunately the robbers only took our watches.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  14. Feb 8, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

Jeez Andy how come you have never told me about this??

15. Feb 8, 2004 #14
    Happened back in 98 i think, and i never wanted the attention.

16. Feb 13, 2004 #15

Njorl

Science Advisor

When I was 12 years old, my brother and I rode a small, one-car ride at the boardwalk at Wildwood, New Jersey. It was like a small roller coaster through a haunted house. We were complaining about how lame it was when it got a bit scarier.

At the bottom of a steep hill, the car derailed and flipped over. We were tossed onto the track, stunned as hell. It was pitch black, and I didn't see where I was putting my hands as I got up. I put one right on the rail. As the electrical current rushed through me, I couldn't even yell. I just grunted very loudly. My brother figured out right away what was happening, but he could barely see. He knew grabbing me might kill us both, so he balled up his fists and started battering me, hoping to knock me off the rail. After a few hits, he managed to succeed.

For some reason, it didn't occur to me until years later that he had saved my life. I've never thanked him; it would just be too wierd.

Njorl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?