Six Generators of Group SO(4)

In summary, there are six generators of group SO(4) which can be complexified to SO(4,C) and can be defined as linear combinations L±a of rotations and boosts. These generators form two mutually commuting SU(2,C) algebras. The matrix form of the generators can be found in "Jackson: Electrodynamics" and they are also discussed in Landau Lifshetz, Quantum Mechanics in the context of the Hamiltonian of the Coulomb problem. In this case, the generators are the three generators of rotations and three Runge Lenz vectors which describe the orientation of the ellipses of the particles. The generators are anti-symmetric
YOBDC
Recently,I have read a article which referred "the six generators of group SO(4)".And who can tell me what are these generators and what are their matrix forms?

Physics news on Phys.org
There a three rotations La (generating the SO(3) subgroup of SO(3,1) and three boosts Ka.

In addition one can complexify the algebra to SO(4,C) and define the new linear combinations

L±a = La ± iKa.

These new sets of generators define two mutually commuting SU(2,C) algebras.

The matrix form can e.g. be found in "Jackson: Electrodynamics".

Last edited:
The Hamiltonian of the Coulomb problem is invariant under SO(4) and is discussed e.g. in Landau Lifshetz, Quantum Mechanics. In that case the six generators are the three generators of rotations and the three so called Runge Lenz vectors which describe the orientation of the big axis of the ellipses of the particles.

They are:
[tex]L_{12}=\begin{pmatrix}0&1&0&0\\-1&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

and five similar [itex]L_{ij},\quad i<j[/itex]

arkajad said:
They are:
[tex]L_{12}=\begin{pmatrix}0&1&0&0\\-1&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

and five similar [itex]L_{ij},\quad i<j[/itex]

Did you mean that for each Lij(i<j),there are only two non-zero elements:lij=1 and lji=-1?

YOBDC said:
Did you mean that for each Lij(i<j),there are only two non-zero elements:lij=1 and lji=-1?

Yes. But, of course, one can always choose a different basis of generators by taking independent linear combinations of the above ones,

arkajad said:
Yes. But, of course, one can always choose a different basis of generators by taking independent linear combinations of the above ones,

Oh, I see. These generators must be anti-symmetric. Thank you very much!

Note that the counting is different; arkajad uses ij with i<j (ij being spacetime indices) whereas I am using a=1..3 (NOT being spacetime indices; suppressed). Of course in both cases you have six generators in total and of course they are one-to-one.

YOBDC said:
These generators must be anti-symmetric.

You can represent the n(n-1)/2 generators of any SO(n) in some orthonormal base, by the operator

[tex]L_{nm} = |n\rangle \langle m| \ - |m \rangle \langle n| [/tex]

where n,m = 1, 2, ...,n and;

[tex]\langle n|m\rangle = \delta_{nm}[/tex]

From that you can find the location of the non-zero matrix elements by calculating the martix element;

[tex]\langle r|L_{nm}|s \rangle[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the Six Generators of Group SO(4)?

The Six Generators of Group SO(4) refer to a set of mathematical operations or transformations that can be applied to a four-dimensional space, known as the special orthogonal group. These generators are used to describe the symmetries and properties of objects in four-dimensional space.

2. How are the Six Generators of Group SO(4) used in scientific research?

The Six Generators of Group SO(4) are commonly used in the study of four-dimensional space and its applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are particularly useful in understanding the symmetries and properties of molecules and other complex structures in four dimensions.

3. What are the six generators in the Six Generators of Group SO(4)?

The six generators are translations along the x, y, and z axes, and rotations around the x, y, and z axes. These six transformations can be combined to describe any possible movement or transformation in four-dimensional space.

4. How do the Six Generators of Group SO(4) relate to other mathematical groups?

The Six Generators of Group SO(4) are a subgroup of the special orthogonal group, which is a subgroup of the larger general linear group. This relationship allows for the application of group theory and symmetry principles to understand and solve problems in four-dimensional space.

5. What is the significance of the Six Generators of Group SO(4) in physics?

The Six Generators of Group SO(4) play a crucial role in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and general relativity. They are used to describe the symmetries and transformations of particles and fields in four-dimensional spacetime, allowing for a better understanding of fundamental physical laws and phenomena.