Six Superheavy Gluons: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter Vorde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gluons
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential existence of six superheavy gluons in the current model of particle physics, as mentioned in a book on physics. However, it is pointed out that this is likely a misremembering and the only particle that has not been observed is the Higgs boson. The conversation also mentions the possibility of supersymmetric models and the SU(5) Grand Unified Theory which includes six additional particles.
Vorde
I read some time ago in a book on physics (I believe it was A Brief History of Time, but I can't be sure) that mentioned how the current model for particle physics had the 16 particles of the standard model, plus six superheavy gluons that are far too massive to ever be witnessed. Am I misremembering this or is this true? And if so then why can't I find any mention of them anywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vorde said:
I read some time ago in a book on physics (I believe it was A Brief History of Time, but I can't be sure) that mentioned how the current model for particle physics had the 16 particles of the standard model, plus six superheavy gluons that are far too massive to ever be witnessed. Am I misremembering this or is this true? And if so then why can't I find any mention of them anywhere?

Just off the top of my head, that sounds absolutely wrong. I think all of the particles in the standard model have been seen experimentally except for the Higgs boson.

Those six superheavy gluons are clearly not part of the standard model.

Also any particle being "far too massive to ever be witnessed" is an obviously wrong statement. If it will never be witnessed, then it doesn't exist.

I looked through A Brief History of Time, wasn't in there. It's possible I'll figure out where I read it in and update this thread but for now it's a safe assumption I'm misremembering something.

Thank you all though.

You're probably thinking of the SU(5) Grand Unified Theory by Georgi-Glashow. This has, in addition to the usual particles, a pair of superheavy bosons named X and Y. The X and Y carry color charge and form a weak doublet, and therefore couple to other particles through both the strong and weak interactions. Counting three colors for each, this would work out to six additional particles. The X boson has a charge of -4/3, while the Y boson has a charge of -1/3. The mass of each would be in the range of 1015 GeV/c2. They would cause proton decays, such as p → π0 + e+, which have not been observed.

1. What are Six Superheavy Gluons?

Six Superheavy Gluons are hypothetical particles that are proposed to exist beyond the Standard Model of particle physics. They are believed to be the carriers of a new fundamental force, called the "superforce", that would explain the unification of all four fundamental forces.

2. Why are Six Superheavy Gluons important?

If proven to exist, Six Superheavy Gluons would have a significant impact on our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern them. They could also provide insight into the nature of dark matter and the origin of the universe.

3. How are scientists searching for evidence of Six Superheavy Gluons?

Scientists are searching for evidence of Six Superheavy Gluons through experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. They are also studying data from previous experiments and using mathematical models to predict the behavior and characteristics of these particles.

4. Is there any evidence to support the existence of Six Superheavy Gluons?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the existence of Six Superheavy Gluons. However, some theories, such as Grand Unified Theories (GUTs), predict their existence and ongoing experiments at the LHC are actively searching for them.

5. What are the potential implications if Six Superheavy Gluons are proven to be real?

If Six Superheavy Gluons are proven to exist, it would revolutionize our understanding of particle physics and the universe. It could also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and energy sources.