Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Six Superheavy Gluons

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    I read some time ago in a book on physics (I believe it was A Brief History of Time, but I can't be sure) that mentioned how the current model for particle physics had the 16 particles of the standard model, plus six superheavy gluons that are far too massive to ever be witnessed. Am I misremembering this or is this true? And if so then why can't I find any mention of them anywhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just off the top of my head, that sounds absolutely wrong. I think all of the particles in the standard model have been seen experimentally except for the Higgs boson.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. Oct 20, 2011 #4
    Those six superheavy gluons are clearly not part of the standard model.

Also any particle being "far too massive to ever be witnessed" is an obviously wrong statement. If it will never be witnessed, then it doesn't exist.

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    I looked through A Brief History of Time, wasn't in there. It's possible I'll figure out where I read it in and update this thread but for now it's a safe assumption I'm misremembering something.

Thank you all though.

7. Oct 20, 2011 #6
  8. Oct 21, 2011 #7

Bill_K

Science Advisor

You're probably thinking of the SU(5) Grand Unified Theory by Georgi-Glashow. This has, in addition to the usual particles, a pair of superheavy bosons named X and Y. The X and Y carry color charge and form a weak doublet, and therefore couple to other particles through both the strong and weak interactions. Counting three colors for each, this would work out to six additional particles. The X boson has a charge of -4/3, while the Y boson has a charge of -1/3. The mass of each would be in the range of 1015 GeV/c2. They would cause proton decays, such as p → π0 + e+, which have not been observed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook