Sixth form problem/issue. Help?

• Thread starter Physssics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation is about a student who has applied to a grammar school sixth form and is worried about their predicted English grade of a C. However, the student has achieved all A's in their coursework and is confident they will do better on the actual exam. They are seeking advice on how to convince the interviewee of their true potential. The expert advises not to worry too much and to provide the reasons for the predicted grade if asked. They also remind the student that not getting into the sixth form is not the end of the world and there is still plenty of time to prove their ability.
Physssics
Hi,
I didn't know where to put this so I put it in the Career guidance section.
This is not really related to Physics but I will be taking Physics as an AS/A2.

I've applied for a grammar school sixth form and got an interview. The sixth form have requested me to bring my predicted grades and mock exam results.

I'm worried they won't accept me due to my English grade. Unforunately my predicted grade in English is a Grade C, this is because my English teacher has only started to teach our class in September and she doesn't know me very well. I've gained all A's in my four pieces of coursework so far and I'm sure I'm not working towards a C.

On-top of this our English teacher made our class do the AQA Poetry paper (which we did not study) so we could get a feel of the exam. I got a C+ without really knowing what to expect and I'm 100% sure I'll get higher than a B in the real paper as we will have gone through the stuff.

So, if there anything I can say to the interviewee to persuade them that this is not my true potential? and if so what should I say? I'm really really worried and I'm eager to get in. All my other grades are predicted A.

Thankyou -
P.S: I know this isn't related to Physics but please can I have your opinion, I put it on this forum as this is a clever and helpful community.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have experience really relevant to your situation but i'll chip in with some general thoughts.

I wouldn't worry too much about your english grade: if they are concerned about it, I'm sure they'll ask in the interview. If they ask about your predicted grades, they may well ask if you feel it's a fair representation of your ability - to which you can provide the response you did above. The reasons that you've provided for the prediction of a C seem OK to me.

Otherwise, remember it isn't the end of the world if you don't get in! You're still at the beginning of a long road in education, and have plenty of time to prove your ability.

Good luck!

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your sixth form application process. I can understand your concern about your English grade potentially impacting your chances of being accepted into the grammar school sixth form. However, it is important to remember that your predicted grades and mock exam results are just one aspect of your application. Admissions committees also take into account your coursework, extracurricular activities, personal statement, and interview performance.

That being said, if you are truly concerned about your predicted grade not reflecting your true potential, you can explain this to the interviewee. You can mention that your English teacher is new and does not know you well, and that your coursework grades are all A's. Additionally, you can mention that the AQA Poetry paper was not part of your curriculum and you were not fully prepared for it, but you still managed to get a C+.

You can also mention that you are confident in your ability to improve your English grade and that you are actively working towards it. This shows that you are determined and motivated to succeed. Ultimately, your passion and dedication towards your education will shine through in your interview and can help offset any concerns about your predicted grade.

I wish you all the best in your interview and hope that you are able to convey your true potential to the admissions committee. Remember, your grades do not define you as a student, and your determination and hard work will ultimately lead to your success. Best of luck!

1. What is a "Sixth form"?

The term "Sixth form" refers to the last two years of secondary education in the United Kingdom, typically for students aged 16-18. This is equivalent to grades 11 and 12 in the American education system.

2. What are some common problems or issues faced by Sixth form students?

Some common problems or issues faced by Sixth form students include academic stress, time management, social pressures, and preparing for university or future career paths.

3. How can I help a student who is struggling in Sixth form?

As a scientist, it is not within my expertise to provide specific advice for individual students. However, some general tips for helping a struggling student may include offering support and encouragement, helping them develop effective study habits, and connecting them with resources such as tutors or counseling services.

4. Are there any resources available for Sixth form students who need extra help?

Yes, there are many resources available for Sixth form students who need extra help. This may include peer tutoring, online study guides, and academic support programs offered by schools or universities.

5. What are some potential long-term consequences of unresolved issues in Sixth form?

Unresolved issues in Sixth form can potentially have long-term consequences such as impacting academic performance, causing mental health problems, and hindering future career opportunities. It is important for students to address and seek help for any issues they may be facing in order to prevent these consequences.