1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Size and Direction Three

1. Mar 24, 2007 #1
    Please help!!!

My problem is: (with figure attached, the figure explains the majority of the ptorblem)
    (a) What is the size and direction of current i1 in Fig. 27-40, where each resistance is 2.2 and V1 = 18 V?

(b) What is the power of the 18 V battery, and is energy being supplied or absorbed by the battery?

(c) What is the power of the 10 V battery, and is energy being supplied or absorbed by the battery?

(d) What is the power of the 5.0 V battery, and is energy being supplied or absorbed by the battery?

Relevant Equations
    V=iR

For part (a) I'm having trouble firguring out which resistances to use. Do I use all of the resistances and add them up according to whether they are parallel or perpendicular? Then, when I get the resistance that I need, do I just use the 10 V battery as my voltage to calculate the current? I tried adding all of the resistances and I got 8.64 ohms. Is this correct?

For part (b) I need to know again what resistance to use to calculate the current, which I would need to calculate power. If I can get some help on (b), I can probably do (c) and (d) by myself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted