Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Size of atoms.

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know how to prove that the size of atoms is nearly 10^-8cm?:uhh:
    Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2
    I'd calculate the expectation value of r for the outmost electrons. That should give a ballpark estimate.
  4. Mar 12, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Copper (for instance) is a close-packed metal. From its density and atomic mass you can calculate the distance between the centers of neighboring atoms. This will be nothing but twice the radius of the copper atom.
  5. Mar 13, 2006 #4
    I understood what you mean but I still don't know how to calculate it.:rolleyes:
  6. Mar 13, 2006 #5

Science Advisor

First, many atoms, heavy ones, are much bigger than 10-8 cm.

Second. Read any discussion of the quantum theory of the hydrogen atom and you, with perhaps a bit of work, will find your answer,/
    Reilly Atkinson
  7. Mar 13, 2006 #6

Staff: Mentor

Copper has a density of 8.92 g/cm^3. It has an atomic mass of 63.5, which means that 63.5 g of copper contains 6.02 x 10^23 atoms (one mole). Using these numbers, you can find the volume (cm^3) per atom just by analyzing the units and doing a little arithmetic. Try it! :smile:
  8. Mar 13, 2006 #7
    Your suggestions were really helpfull, thank you all.:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?