Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Size of elemetary particles

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    "Size" of elemetary particles

I stumbled upon this nice link showing the universe at different scales: http://htwins.net/scale2/

However, if you scroll down to the attometer scale you get to the elementary particles which have been given sizes. Does anyone know what these sizes mean? I thought elementary particles were dimensionless and so have no strict size.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'd guess it either refers to something similar to a "classical electron radius" or it uses their wavefunction to determine the volume of space they are likely to occupy and base the size on that.

4. Aug 21, 2013 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor
    Insights Author

You're correct. Apparently what he's diagramming here is the Compton wavelength for each particle, ħ/mc. Of the six quarks, the top quark has the greatest rest mass, hence the shortest Compton wavelength. Electron (classical) is the classical electron radius, e2/mc2.

5. Aug 21, 2013 #4
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted