Exploring the Effects of Energy Loss on Nucleons

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of energy loss on the size of nucleons in fusion and whether protons are considered point particles. It is concluded that fusion can change the size of nucleons and that protons are not considered point particles.
Deepak247
Hi there...

My question is that when nucleon's loses energy (such as in fusion),does that affect their size as well? do they also shrink or grow by losing or gaining energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have original nuclei after fusion, but a new one, so the size definitely changes - but you are comparing apples and oranges.

Nice, but hardly related to the original question.

OK...but in general let's say in a fusion of proton and neutron, when energy is released after fusion, then the proton part of deuterium is equal to or less than a proton(i.e in size)

Deepak247 said:
OK...but in general let's say in a fusion of proton and neutron, when energy is released after fusion, then the proton part of deuterium is equal to or less than a proton(i.e in size)

Are protons considered Point Particles? If so, i believe its more about the effective range of their charge than an actual hard little ball that comprises it.

Drakkith said:
Are protons considered Point Particles?

Nope.

Yea, I just based my answer on the thread title.

1. What is the purpose of exploring the effects of energy loss on nucleons?

The purpose of this study is to better understand the behavior of nucleons (protons and neutrons) when they lose energy, as it has implications for various fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics.

2. How do nucleons lose energy?

Nucleons can lose energy through various processes such as collisions with other particles, electromagnetic interactions, and decays.

3. What are some potential consequences of energy loss on nucleons?

Energy loss can lead to changes in the structure and behavior of nucleons, which can have effects on the stability of atomic nuclei, nuclear reactions, and the evolution of stars.

4. What techniques are used to study the effects of energy loss on nucleons?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models and experimental data to study the behavior of nucleons when they lose energy. This includes techniques such as particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and computer simulations.

5. How can understanding energy loss in nucleons benefit society?

Understanding energy loss in nucleons can have practical applications in fields such as energy production and medicine. It can also contribute to advancements in our understanding of the universe and the fundamental nature of matter.