Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Size of the edit box

1. Mar 22, 2016 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

I guess this is my perceptual failing. It is difficult to make changes to a post because the the text in the edit box appears so very differently formatted from what is shown in the thread.

It took me an hour to get together one post on genetics just a minute ago. I re-edited probably 10 times. There may still be boo-boos, but I gave up.

I've tried cutting and pasting from a desktop editor like UltraEdit, but text formatted the way I want doesn't always transfer over well. Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Which post editor do you use in the forum?
    What exactly looks different, apart from line breaks?

4. Mar 22, 2016 #3
    Are you referring to the half breed thread? Looking at your post I don't see much formatting. Maybe you can post a screenshot?

5. Mar 22, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

I think Jim is asking why does the edit box not afford the exact same text width as is used by the browser for displaying that text on the web page.

6. Mar 22, 2016 #5
    At the moment it follows the styling for other overlays

7. Mar 22, 2016 #6

jim mcnamara

8. Mar 22, 2016 #7
  9. Mar 22, 2016 #8

jim mcnamara

No a table of items about some data on homozygpus plants. Numbers refused to line up in columns. I was using an ascii editor, is that the problem, locale?

10. Mar 22, 2016 #9
    Did you try wrapping the content in a code tag to preserve spacing?

11. Mar 22, 2016 #10

jim mcnamara

The default settings are for UNIX carriage control. Tried windows carriage control. Tried UTF-8. I think it has to be some setting on my side. People do not usually complain about things like this particular problem AFAIK....

12. Mar 22, 2016 #11

jim mcnamara

I tried [ quote ] tags. Did not try code tags, will that enforce constant character width? I would expect so.

13. Mar 22, 2016 #12
    Give it a try, that is your best bet

14. Mar 22, 2016 #13

mfb

2016 Award

Unless you use a code environment, the forum will keep multiple whitespaces in a row but browsers will ignore them to display the post. Quote this post to see the effect, it is HTML standard.

15. Mar 22, 2016 #14

jim mcnamara

Thanks for helping.

16. Mar 22, 2016 #15

NascentOxygen

That's (partly, at least) a consequence of using a proportional font, I'd say. Digit symbols and spaces have different widths.
    1111111 1111 (that's a single space gap)

You could set a fixed-width font yourself, or follow Greg's advice.

17. Mar 22, 2016 #16

jim mcnamara

That is what I intend to do. Saw a nice paper today on endogenous insertions of HERV (virus) DNA into human DNA. Fortunately if I decide to post it, formatting will not eat me for lunch. Will play later on. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted