Sizing 3 Gearboxes for 4000lbs Felt Roll

• Thread starter SevenToFive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sizing
In summary, the system will require three different gearboxes to function. The first gearbox will be used to feed the felt into the table in the middle, and the second and third gearboxes will be used to pull the felt onto new rolls. The first gearbox will be powered by electric motors and use vfd's to control the speeds, while the second and third gearboxes will use traditional gearboxes. The torque needed to turn the rolls will be different depending on the gearbox, and the tension in the web will be calculated from the torque and roll diameter.
SevenToFive
I have a system that will require 3 different gearboxes. Starting on the right we have a roll of felt that is 36 inches in diameter and weighs 4000lbs. The felt is going to be fed into the table in the middle off of roll number 1 on the right by gearbox number 2. Once the felt is cut, gearbox number 1 will pull the unused felt back onto roll 1. Gearbox number 3 on the left will pull the felt onto a new roll. These gearboxes will be powered by electric motors and using vfd's to control the speeds.

I am having a hard time trying to wrap my head around sizing these gearboxes since the original gearboxes offer much less torque that what is being calculated yet worked fine. We are replacing them since we are rebuilding the machine. At first I was going to calculate torque by taking the weight of the roll, 4000lbs and multiplying it by 18 inches which gives me 72000in-lbs or torque. However the gearboxes we took off of this machine are much smaller making only 5000in-lbs.
What am I missing here? Would gearbox number 2 require less torque since it is pulling the felt off of the top of the roll, and being assisted by gearbox number 1?
IMG.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your calc strategy is not correct. You are not pulling a load of 4000 lbf, you are rotating a cylinder that has a mass of (convert 4000 lbf to mass). The torque needed to turn the roll is T = J x Alpha. J = mass moment of inertia for a cylinder (1/2 x m x r^2). Alpha = (DeltaVelocity) / (DeltaTime) (time to accelerate). Add torque needed for friction etc. The tension in the web is calc from the Torque & roll diameter. Once accelerated, torque requirement to simply pull is much less. When diameter is small, torque requirement to turn is small.

1. How do you determine the appropriate size for gearboxes for a 4000lbs felt roll?

The size of the gearboxes needed for a 4000lbs felt roll depends on several factors including the diameter and width of the roll, the material of the roll, and the desired speed and torque of the gearboxes. Calculations can be done using formulas and data from the manufacturer to determine the appropriate size.

2. What is the maximum weight capacity for gearboxes that can be used with a 4000lbs felt roll?

The maximum weight capacity for gearboxes will depend on the specific type and model of the gearboxes being used. It is important to check the specifications and weight capacity of the gearboxes before using them to ensure they can handle the weight of the 4000lbs felt roll.

3. Are there any specific gear ratios that are recommended for sizing gearboxes for a 4000lbs felt roll?

The gear ratio needed for a 4000lbs felt roll will depend on the desired speed and torque of the gearboxes. Generally, a higher gear ratio will provide more torque but lower speed, while a lower gear ratio will provide higher speed but less torque. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of the application when selecting a gear ratio.

4. Is it better to use one large gearbox or multiple smaller gearboxes for a 4000lbs felt roll?

The decision to use one large gearbox or multiple smaller gearboxes will depend on the specific application and the availability of gearboxes of different sizes. In general, using multiple smaller gearboxes can provide more flexibility and redundancy, while a single large gearbox may be more efficient and cost-effective.

5. Can gearboxes be customized for a specific application and load, such as a 4000lbs felt roll?

Yes, gearboxes can be customized for specific applications and loads. Manufacturers may offer customization options such as different gear ratios, materials, and sizes to meet the specific needs and requirements of a 4000lbs felt roll. It is important to consult with the manufacturer to determine the best customization options for the specific application.