1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sizing a mototr to the right torque

1. Jan 4, 2004 #1
    Hello- new to the board and had a question for anyone that can help. I am trying to figure what size motor I will need for a project. My brother has built a custom motor cycle and to showcase it at the carshow we were going to mount the motor cycle on a platform and rotate it at approx. 1 revolution per minute. the bike weighs approx. 650 pounds. I am not sure if we should use a AC or DC motor. I know the length of the shaft and will need to be figured as well. I am open to any suggestions. We thought a DC moto rated @ 1.5 RPM and 18 ft/lbs of torque might work but I thought I would check with someone that knows a bit more on the subject. Thank you. Please feel free to email me any suggestions-Rick

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2004 #2

krab

Science Advisor

The torque sounds about right. I calculate that your display with motorcycle on it will spin up to the desired 1rpm in about 1 second. That's provided your friction is small compared with the motor torque.

I would guess you should use an AC synchronous motor. A DC motor wouldn't operate at the correct rpm without some kind of speed sensor and feedback.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook