Sizing a Potentiometer and padding resistors

In summary, Bob needs a series circuit with a 5k ohm pot to size the resistors and padding. He needs to know the current flowing through the pot and the resistor values needed to match it. Once he has those values, he can adjust the resistors to get the desired voltage swing.
kramer42
Hello I have an Electronic control unit supplying +5volts and 15mA to a Potentiometer. The control unit needs to have padding resistors that need to be sized correctly so the output of the potentiometer is 0.5 volts to 4.5 volts. Can anyone help me figure out how to size the potentiometer and padding resistors? Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Engineering news on Phys.org
It can be figured simply by ohms law. You will have a resistor on each end of the pot. So from the + terminal of the power supply you will have a resistor, then the pot, then the other resistor connected to the - terminal of the supply. You need to know the ohms value of the pot. From there it is all ohms law. BTW, this only works if the wiper terminal on the pot will not be supplying any current, aka an UNLOADED voltage divider.

Thanks for your help. So if I have a 250 ohm pot, how do I figure out the values needed for the resistors?

Is this homework?

Ohm's law is: Voltage = Current * Resistance

You could figure the total current with all the resistances added together, then multiply that current by the individual resistance to find the voltage. What do you come up with?

Cliff

Sorry, we would be more specific, but this sounds suspicously like a homework question. What exactly is the application?

No it's not a homework question, it's a work question. We are adding an electronic control unit made by Rexroth to one of our machines. I haven't worked with ohms law too much, so I'm getting confused on how to size the padding resistors. If I use a 5k ohm pot, I'm stilled confused on how to find the resistor values. I know the voltage, but not the resistor value or current, so I have two unknowns out of three?? It might be a simply solution, but I'm confused and probably having a brain blockage. The control unit is supplying +5 volts and up to 15mA and the pot. output has to be between 0.5-4.5volts. If you had more specific info in how to size the padding resistors I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Bob

So you will have a total of 4 volts across 5K. That works out to be 8 micro amps. It is a series circuit so each resistor will have the 8 uA flowing through it. Use ohms law to find out how much resistance it takes for 8 uA to burn up .5 volts. Use the formula Cliff gave to come up with 625 ohms for each resistor. Each resistor is going to burn up a half a volt.

Last edited:
For a 5K pot I come up with .0008A or 800uA. This would be 625 ohms for each resistor.

1/4 watt resistors would be plenty big for this, a 560 and a 56 or 68 in series would get you each 'resistor' since there is no 625 in regular stock. If you want, a quick check with the multimeter would get you a combination that equals 625 ohms.

Then check the resistance across the resistors and pot to make sure its around 6.2Kohms no matter the position of the knob BEFORE hooking it up and ask if you need help. In fact, I'd suggest hooking it up to 4 AA batteries or a 9V battery to check to make sure the divider works properly (10% to 90% of the source voltage at the output) before risking it by hooking it up live.

Good luck.

Cliff

Where I get confused is when you say that with the 5K pot you have 800uAmps, but when you add in the padding resistors, doesn't that change the amperage running thru the resistors and pot? So how can you use the 800uA to find the padding resistor values? Thanks for your help averagesupernova and Cliff.

Bob

You figure what the current should be with 4 volts across the pot regardless of padding resistors. In the end, you KNOW you will have to have 4 volts across the pot to get the desired voltage swing. You KNOW the value of the pot so you know the current through it. You adjust the padding resistors to match the current. Typical engineering, figure from what end result is required back to what it takes to get it.

E = IR

E/R = I

4V/5000 ohms = .0008A

Now we know the current, now get the right resistor for the drop.

E/I = R

.5V/.0008A = 625 ohms

HTH

Cliff

1. What is the purpose of sizing a potentiometer and padding resistors?

The purpose of sizing a potentiometer and padding resistors is to ensure that the resistance values of the components match the required circuit specifications. This helps to achieve the desired level of voltage or current in a circuit.

2. How do you determine the appropriate size for a potentiometer?

The appropriate size for a potentiometer is determined by considering the maximum and minimum resistance values needed for the circuit, as well as the power rating of the potentiometer. The size of the potentiometer should be able to handle the expected voltage and current without overheating or failing.

3. What are padding resistors and when are they necessary?

Padding resistors are additional resistors added in series with a potentiometer to fine-tune its resistance value. They are necessary when the required resistance value is not available in standard potentiometers or when a more precise resistance value is needed.

4. Can you use multiple potentiometers in a circuit?

Yes, multiple potentiometers can be used in a circuit. This is useful when different levels of resistance are needed for different components in the circuit. However, it is important to ensure that the total resistance of the potentiometers does not exceed the maximum resistance allowed by the circuit.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when sizing a potentiometer and padding resistors?

Yes, other factors to consider include the tolerance of the components, temperature coefficient, and noise level. It is important to choose components with appropriate tolerances and temperature coefficients to ensure accurate and stable circuit performance. Additionally, padding resistors can also help reduce noise in the circuit.