1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sizing Secondary Systems

1. Aug 5, 2004 #1
    I would like to get some opinions on secondary circulator and piping design for heating system.

System Description:

Two (2) boilers each one is 75% of building total heating load. Each with a secondary circulator pumping to a manifold into a primary loop. The return piping comes from a second manifold adjacent to to supply manifold.

Primary loop with two (2) parallel circulators moving the heating water 100% of the heating load using a 20 deg F TD to the building and through the equipment.

Okay, the boiler manufacturer suggests the formula:

Gross Output BTUH/(Temp Rise x 500) = Secondary gpm

Temp Rise = 230 deg F - Return Water Temp

I know that the boiler can handle higher flows than will be obtained through this formula (with a 70 deg Temp Rise and a 515,000 btuh boiler I only get 14.7 gpm).

So which is better, use less water at higher temperature, or use more water at lower, closer to system, temperature? Or is it best to figure a compromise and go with that? Say a 40 deg F or 50 deg F temperature rise in the boiler?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted