Optimizing Skate Velocity: Static vs. Kinetic Friction

• Thread starter Poetria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, increasing the static friction coefficient between the skate and the ground would increase average velocity of the left skate of the person.
Poetria

Homework Statement

Which of the following could help to increase average velocity of the left skate of the person:

Decreasing the static friction coefficient between the skate and the ground.

Increasing the static friction coefficient between the skate and the ground.

Decreasing the kinetic friction coefficient between the skate and the ground.

Increasing the kinetic friction coefficient between the skate and the ground.

Increasing the distance between the lines (circa 5m)

Decreasing the distance between the lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think increasing the static friction and decreasing the kinetic friction would help. Static friction works in the direction of motion, does it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:
Increasing the distance between the lines
What lines? Have you left out some of the problem statement? I would have guessed the distance between the feet, but 5m stretches more than just the imagination.
Poetria said:
Static friction works in the direction of motion, does it?
Friction, whether static or kinetic, opposes relative motion of the surfaces in contact. It will work in the direction of motion of the body (skater, walker, car, train...) if the part in contact with the ground is trying to go the other way.

Likes Poetria
Oh it is my fault. It is a video, you know. I have drawn it.

Yes, I know that friction opposes motion but if you push ice with a skate to gain speed, isn't the static friction opposing pushing but favouring gliding?
The example of a dog running on ice was simpler. :)

Attachments

• Skaters.png
    Skaters.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 462
Poetria said:
Yes, I know that friction opposes motion but if you push ice with a skate to gain speed, isn't the static friction opposing pushing but favouring gliding?
The example of a dog running on ice was simpler. :)
Yes, indeed, static friction on the skate you're pushing back on is vital. But in your first post you wrote that 'static friction works in the direction of motion', and that is not always true. When a car brakes it opposes the motion of the vehicle. What is true in both cases is that it opposes relative motion of the surfaces in contact. In the case of the skate, the skater is pushing backwards on the skate. By resisting that relative motion, the static friction pushes the skater forwards.

Likes Poetria
Oh, yes, I admit, I was very imprecise. I got it. Many thanks :)
In the case of a dog it is better to increase both kinds of friction: the static and the kinetic because there is no sliding involved.

What is friction and how does it affect skating?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In skating, friction occurs between the surface of the ice and the blades of the skates. This friction helps to slow down the skater's motion and create traction, allowing for control and movement on the ice.

How do different types of ice surfaces affect skating?

The type of ice surface can greatly impact a skater's performance. A rougher ice surface will create more friction, making it more difficult for the skater to glide smoothly. On the other hand, a smoother ice surface will have less friction, allowing for faster speeds and easier movements.

What factors can increase or decrease friction in skating?

The amount of friction in skating can be affected by several factors, such as the temperature of the ice, the skater's body weight, the sharpness of the skate blades, and the type of material the blades are made of. A warmer ice surface will have more friction, while a colder surface will have less. Heavier skaters will experience more friction, and sharper blades will have less friction than dull ones.

How does friction impact the wear and tear on skate blades?

Friction can cause wear and tear on skate blades over time. The constant rubbing against the ice surface can dull the blades, making them less effective in gliding and turning. This is why it is important for skaters to regularly sharpen their blades to maintain their performance.

Can friction be beneficial in skating?

While friction can sometimes be seen as a hindrance in skating, it can also be beneficial. Friction allows for better control and stability on the ice, making it easier for skaters to perform certain moves and techniques. It also helps to slow down the skater's motion, allowing for more precise movements and stops.