A 0.25kg Skeet & 15g Pellet Collision

• Thread starter joemama69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, a 0.25kg skeet is fired at an angle of 30 degrees with a speed of 30 m/s. When it reaches the maximum height, it is hit from below by a 15g pellet traveling vertically upward at a speed of 200 m/s. The pellet is embedded in the skeet. The maximum height of the skeet is 6.54m and it travels an extra distance of 60.01m due to the collision.
joemama69

Homework Statement

A 0.25 - kg skeet is fired at an angle of 300 to the horizontal with a speed of 30 m/s. When it reaches the maximum height, it is hit from below by a 15-g pellet traveling vertically upward at a speed of 200 m/s. The pellet is embedded in the skeet.

a) How much higher does the skeet go up?

b) How much extra distance x, does the skeet travel because of the collision?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ms = .25. vs = 30... mp = 15000. vp = 200..Q=30 degrees

msvs + mpvp = (ms + mp)v...15000(200) = (.25 + 15000)v
v = 200 = vy'

vx = 30cos30 = vx'=25.98

t = x/30cos30 = x/25.98

y = yo+vy't - .5gt2 = yo + 200(x/25.98) - .5g(x/25.98)2 = yo + 8.25x - x2/.01 ...x = .077 is this correct so far

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow your work for the vertical velocity after the collision.
momentum before = momentum after collision in vertical direction
mv = mv
.015*200 = (.015+.25)v
solve for v.

Likes Irfan Nafi
the pellet is 15g = 15000 kg

Ask yourself if that makes sense. A bullet hitting a skeet will not make the skeet travel at the same velocity as the bullet. It will increase its velocity but not by that much. Looking at the mass of the pellet, does it make sense that it's mass is 15000kg? No, a gram is 1/1000 of a kilogram, not 1000kgs.

sorry i always do that

ms = .25. vs = 30... mp = .015. vp = 200..Q=30 degrees

msvs + mpvp = (ms + mp)v... .015(200) = (.25 + .015)v
v = 11.32 = vy'

vx = 30cos30 = vx'=25.98

t = x/30cos30 = x/25.98

y = yo+vy't - .5gt2 = yo + 11.32(x/25.98) - .5g(x/25.98)2 = yo + .44x - (x^2)/.01 ...

v = 11.3 is correct. I don't understand why your last line y= formula has x's in it. The horizontal motion does not affect the vertical motion.

Likes Irfan Nafi
x = vxt...t = x/vx

isnt that how u typical solve these problems...

You don't need to do that for this problem. You can use the quadratic formula to find t in your y = equation. Since the question asks for how much higher and farther the skeet travels I would suggest first finding the height and distance when it isn't hit, then finding height and distance when it is hit.

ok so y = yo + vyt - .5gt2 = yo + 11.32t - .5(9.8)t2...ymax @ t = 1.16

so y = yo+6.54

x = xo + 25.98(2.31) = xo + 60.01

is this correct, do i need to find the initials before i can solve the quadratic or can i do as i have done and say it is zero and then add it back in after i find t

The 6.54 looks good for part (a).
The 1.16 seconds must be the time of maximum height. I don't know if that will help you find (b). For (b) you are starting over with a new trajectory problem with Vy = 11.3. You'll have to find the x and y coordinates at that point where the pellet hits it and the Vx left from the initial shot. Then you can do the horizontal and vertical formulas to find the horizontal distance.

Likes Irfan Nafi

1. How do you calculate the velocity of the 0.25kg skeet and 15g pellet after collision?

In order to calculate the velocity of the objects after collision, you will need to use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This equation can be written as m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v, where m1 and v1 represent the mass and velocity of the 0.25kg skeet before collision, m2 and v2 represent the mass and velocity of the 15g pellet before collision, and v represents the velocity of both objects after collision. By plugging in the known values and solving for v, you can calculate the final velocity of the objects after collision.

2. What is the kinetic energy of the objects before and after collision?

The kinetic energy of an object is defined as 1/2 x mass x velocity^2. Before collision, the kinetic energy of the 0.25kg skeet can be calculated by using its mass and initial velocity. The same can be done for the 15g pellet. After collision, the kinetic energy of both objects can be calculated using their final velocity. By comparing the kinetic energy before and after collision, you can determine if the collision was elastic (energy is conserved) or inelastic (energy is lost).

3. What factors can affect the outcome of the collision between the 0.25kg skeet and 15g pellet?

There are several factors that can affect the outcome of the collision between the 0.25kg skeet and 15g pellet. These include the initial velocities of the objects, the mass of the objects, the angle of collision, and the physical properties of the objects such as their shape and surface material. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

4. Is the collision between the 0.25kg skeet and 15g pellet elastic or inelastic?

In order to determine if the collision is elastic or inelastic, you will need to calculate the kinetic energy of the objects before and after collision. If the kinetic energy is the same before and after collision, then the collision is considered elastic. If the kinetic energy decreases after collision, then the collision is inelastic. This can also be determined by observing the final velocities of the objects after collision. If the velocities are the same, then the collision is elastic, but if the velocities are different, then the collision is inelastic.

5. How can the results of this collision be applied to real-life scenarios?

The results of this collision can be applied to real-life scenarios in a variety of ways. For example, it can help engineers design safer cars by understanding how different objects collide and the resulting forces and energy involved. Scientists can also use this information to study the impact of collisions in sports such as football or soccer, and how to prevent injuries. Additionally, this knowledge can be applied in forensic investigations to reconstruct car accidents or other collisions and determine the cause and effect.