1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch a plane

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sketch the indicated traces, and the graph z = f(x,y)

f(x,y) = x - 2y z = 0; z = 1; x = 0; y = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

z = f(x,y) = 0 = x - 2y -> y = -x/2 the trace is a line

z = f(x,y) = 1 = x - 2y -> y = x-1/2 another line going through x = 1/2

z = f(0,y) = 0 - 2y -> z = -2y a line with slope -1 in zy plane

z = f(x,0) = x - 0 -> z = x

I drew the graph, and i wanted to verify. The one on wolframalpha is too hard to verify...

If it is wrong, please tell me what went wrong. Thanks...

When I drew the graph, I noticed that the third and fourth traces were simply x and y axis...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

If f(x, y, z)= x- 2yz= 0 then 2yz= x and z= x/2y. That is a "hyperoloid of one sheet".

Your graph doesn't really show much- it looks to me like a part of a plane.
  4. Jun 19, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

It's actually a plane, but jwxie didn't include punctuation to separate the function from the traces required.

I'm pretty sure this is what was intended:
    For this function f(x,y) = x - 2y, sketch these traces: z = 0; z = 1; x = 0; y = 0.
  5. Jun 19, 2010 #4

The equation of the line in the x-y plane is y = x/2. Its slope is m = 1/2.
    The trace is a line in the plane z = 1. Its slope is 1/2, as before. The line goes through (0, -1/2, 1).
    No, the slope is -2.
    No, the 3rd and 4th traces are lines in the y-z plane and x-z plane, respectively.
  6. Jun 19, 2010 #5
    First to get sense what figure are you drawing notice:

That is clearly a plane which passes through (0,0,0) and it is perpendicular of the vector (1,2,1).

You've found

well. You did not sketch them right.

7. Jun 19, 2010 #6

Your algebra is off, here. z = x - 2y <==> x - 2y - z = 0. A normal to this plane is the vector <1, -2, -1>.
  8. Jun 19, 2010 #7
    Hi, Mark. Sorry for all the mistakes. I just checked what I had on the paper, apparently I should have looked at my paper while posting the message.

I had the exact thing as you mentioned.

I agreed with you that
    when z = 0,, we have y = x/2, and thus slope m = 1/2
    when z = 1,, we have y = x-1/2, and thus slope m = 1/2 because the equation is 1/2 (x-1)
    when z = 0,, we have z = -2y and thus m = -2
    when y = 0,, we have z = x

i know how the curves each individual trace in R2 (for example, when z = 0, we have xy axis graph, y = x/2) look like.

how do i combine them???
    thank you.
  9. Jun 19, 2010 #8

You already have the y-z trace. Do another one in the plane x = 2, for example. That should give you a good idea of what your function looks like (the graph is a plane).
  10. Jun 19, 2010 #9
    Hi. Thank you. I have the xy traces (two lines, x/2 and x-1/2)
    i also have the xz trace (when y = k), and this gives me the xz plane

you mean i need to sketch an yz plane with x = k?
  11. Jun 19, 2010 #10

There is only one x-y trace: the line in the x-y plane whose equation is y = x/2. The other line is the cross-section (not trace) in the plane z = 1, with equation y = x/2 - 1/2.
    The x-z trace is the plane y = 0, not y = k. This trace is not the x-z plane; it is the line z = x in the plane y = 0.
    What I mean is that you should sketch the cross section in some plane parallel to the y-z plane, such as in the plance x = 5.

There are only three traces:
    x-y trace, the cross section of the graph of your function in the x-y plane (the plane z = 0).
    x-z trace, the cross section of the graph in the x-z plane (the plane y = 0).
    y-z trace, the cross section of the graph in the y-z plane (the plane x = 0).

Intersections of the graph of the function with other planes are called cross sections. Cross sections in planes parallel to the x-y plane are called level curves.
  12. Jun 22, 2010 #11
    thank you mark. i got it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook