1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch f(x)=x^3-2x^2+5

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    sketch f(x)=x^3-2x^2+5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried to uses synthetic division to bring it down to a lower power, but i cant remember what to do cuz i dont know any of the factors...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Well first you would try to find factors such that f(a)=0, if f(a)=0 then (x-a) is a factor of f(x).

Seeing as how the last number there is 5, then you should try,1,-1,-5,5 and see if any are zero.

If you do not find it to be zero,then either it has complex roots or non-integer roots.
    find where it cuts the f(x)-axis and x-axis. Find turning points(and whether they are max or min points) and try to sketch. If you need more help, reply back
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    it didnt work.... and seeing as this was a hw question i dont think my teacher would have made it so complex...did i set up the synthetic division correctly?

5 | 1 -2 0 5
  5. Oct 17, 2007 #4
    yea...i set it up right..turns out that i didnt need to find the intercepts, and couldve just aproximated a sketch
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?