1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch graph of wave equation

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1D wave function ψ(x,t) satisfies these initial conditions:
    ψ(x,0) = 0 for all x

∂ψ/∂t (x,0) is v for -a≤x≤a
    0 otherwise
    Plot ψ(x,t) as a function of x at time t=a/v.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the 1D wave equation is given by d'Alembert's:
    ##\psi(x,t) = 0.5[\psi(x+vt,0) + \psi(x-vt,0)] + \frac{1}{2v} \int_{x-vt}^{x+vt} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}(x,0) \mathrm dx##

But for this function because ψ(x, 0) = 0 for all x, that simplifies to
    ##\psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{2v} \int_{x-vt}^{x+vt} \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}(x,0) \mathrm dx##

I wanted to sketch ψ(x,t) first but I'm not sure how to evaluate the integral. For -a≤x≤a,
    ##\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}(x,0)## = v,
    But do I still integrate between x+vt and x-vt? Do I sub x=a or x=-a into the limits, or maybe t=0? I;m fairly sure you just integrate v between x+vt and x-vt (w.r.t x).

Then I have to plot the graph at t=a/v. And I'm not given what
    ##\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}(x,\frac{a}{v})## is, and there's no easy relationship I can spot between the two graphs in terms of for example ψ(x,0) is ψ(x, a/v) translated or rotated etc.

In fact, I can't see how it being t=a/v instead of t=0 would affect the graph at all!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When you do the integral, you will have a function ##\psi(x,t)## which is of x and t and is valid in [-a,a].
    Then you can find what that function is for any particular time t ... which will be a function of x alone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted