1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch level sets

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am very uncomfortable with the concept of "level sets" and don't quite get what it means.

2. Relevant equations

y = 2(x1)^2 - (x1)(x2) + 2(x2)^2

y = 2x1^(1/2) * x2^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not even sure where to start... Can anyone please give me some basic knowledge of how to approach these problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A level set of f(x1,x2) is the curve f(x1,x2) = constant. If z = f(x1,x2) describes a hill or mountain, a level set of f would be a path of constant elevation. That's all!

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3

Thanks...

So in the top example above,

2(x1)^2 - (x1)(x2) + 2(x2)^2 = C?

What I'm confused about also is how I would graph it...

5. Sep 19, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a given numerical value of C, the equation describes some type of curve; you need to figure out what that curve is, and draw it. Surely you must have done problems like that in the past!

6. Sep 19, 2013 #5

Thanks... The only thing I don't get is figuring out what the curve is when there is always two xs, i.e. y = ((x1)^(2))*((x2)^(2))... Do you use algebra to put it into a form you can understand better?

Sorry for the newb questions...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted