Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch mod(Psi1)

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    Got me some energy e-states Psi(x,t) = blah blah.. I am asked to normalize, blh blah blah.. got that. Then i'm asked to sketch mod(Psi1).. what the heck is mod? I know what mod is in regards to number theory, but obviously this is a different term. Can't find it for the life of me on any sites, or in any books.. I vaguely remember it from Modern a few years back.. Anyone? Anyone?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2
    Mod is the absolute value (modulus). Since the wave function is a function from R^n to the complex numbers, the standard definition of modulus of a complex number applies. In your case, however, the wavefunction is probably 1D, real and time-independent, so just take the modulus as you would normally. The mod squared corresponds to the probability of finding the particle in an infinitesimally small interval at that location.
  4. Sep 22, 2004 #3
    Thank you very much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?