1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch on the complex plane the region where the following two power series both

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sketch on the complex plane the region where the following two power series both converge

1) sigma from n=0 to infinity [(z-1)^n]/[n^2]

2) sigma from n=0 to infinity [((n!)^2)((z+4i)^n)]/[2n]!

3. The attempt at a solution

R=lim as n tends to infinity |(a(subscript n))/(a(subscript n+1))|

1) R=lim n tends to infinity [(z-1)^n][[n+1]^2]/[n^2][[z-1]^(n+1)]
    =((n+1)^2)/(n^2)(z-1)
    2) R=lim as n tends to infinity [((n!)^2)((z+4i)^n)/(2n)!][(2(n+1))!/(((n+1)!)^2)((z+4i)^(n+1))

I don't know how to proceed from here and I think I may have made a mistake somewhere

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: sketch on the complex plane the region where the following two power series both.

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^2}{n^2}= \frac{n^2+ 2n+ 1}{n^2}= 1+ \frac{2}{n}+ \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]
    [itex]\frac{(n!)^2}{((n+1)!)^2}\frac{((2n)!)^2}{((2n+1)!)^2}[/itex][itex]= \left(\frac{1}{n+1}\right)^2[/itex][itex]\left(\frac{1}{2n+1}\right)^2[/itex]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook