1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch The Curve

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    Hi guys,

I know this is a dumb question, but I have to ask. We are supposed to sketch the curve of y=x/(x-1)^2 using the guidelines for curve sketching such as domain, intervals of increase/decrease, concavity....ect. For the most part on this question I think I have done this all right, it really isn't all that hard. But for some reason my asymptotes are a bit messed up.

I know there is a vertical asymptote occuring at x=1, because having an x value of one makes the denominator undefined. Then to find the horizontal asymptoes I expanded the denominator to get
    y = x/(x^2 -2x+1), then I found the horizontal denominator (limit as it approaches infinity) by taking an x^2 out of the whole thing, leaving me with a horizontal asymptote at y=0, which for the right half of the curve is true. But the left half of the curve does cross the axis at (0,0). How do I account for the fact that there is not a horizontal tangent at y=0 on the left side of the graph? I hope I explained my situation clearly. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The function approaches the x axis from below as x goes to negative infinity.

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3
    OK, I get the statement you just made. But how would I go about showing that mathematically?

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For x < 0, the function is negative and there are no other zeros of the function.

6. Nov 20, 2005 #5
    Ok so because I have found that there is a horizontal asymptote at x=0 I can say that as x approaches both infinity and negative infinity the graph approaches but never reaches zero, except for the intercept at (0,0) ?

7. Nov 20, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, there's a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 and not at x = 0 and since the function is negative for all negative values of x so the graph approaches the asymptote from below for negative x but from above for positive x.

8. Nov 20, 2005 #7
    Ok I think I got it now, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?