Sketch the graph of a polar equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake in using the wrong units (radians instead of degrees) when creating a graph using graphing software. The issue was resolved by correcting the units.
vigintitres

Homework Statement

r = 1 - 3cos(t)

Homework Equations

I made a table from 0 to pi, plugging the values of theta into r = ...

The Attempt at a Solution

After doing the table, when i go to plot points, at 2pi/3 through 5pi/6 i am having to plot points that really stretch the graph and it goes beyond (on the y axis) what my graphing software is showing. The software shows the graph being below around 2 all the way around. What is the deal here. for instance at 3pi/4 my r equals 3.12 so this makes me extend further than i should be. what am i missing here

HAHA OK JUST REALIZED I AM IN RADIAN MODE ON THE TI 83 NOT DEGREE DUHHHHHH OK SORRY

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

It seems like you have figured out the issue with your graphing software. It's important to always check your settings and make sure you are using the correct units for your calculations. In this case, using radians instead of degrees made a big difference in your graph. Great job on catching that mistake and figuring it out! Keep up the good work!

1. What is a polar equation?

A polar equation is a mathematical representation of a curve in the polar coordinate system, which uses a radius and an angle to describe a point on a plane.

2. How do I sketch a graph of a polar equation?

To sketch a graph of a polar equation, you will need to plot points on a polar coordinate system. The radius and angle values in the equation will determine the location of each point, and connecting these points will form the graph of the equation.

3. What is the difference between a polar equation and a Cartesian equation?

A polar equation uses the polar coordinate system, which is based on a distance and angle from the origin, while a Cartesian equation uses the Cartesian coordinate system, which is based on x and y coordinates on a plane.

4. Can a polar equation have multiple graphs?

Yes, a polar equation can have multiple graphs. This is because there can be multiple points with the same radius and angle values, resulting in multiple curves on the same graph.

5. How can I determine the shape of a polar graph from its equation?

The shape of a polar graph can be determined by examining the values of the radius and angle in the equation. The number of loops or petals in the graph can be determined by the number of times the radius value repeats itself at different angles.