1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching a graph

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say I have a function:

P(a,b) = 2500a + 11000b - 6000

Question asks for:
    Sketch curves of constant profit in the ab-plane for P = 10000, P = 20000, and P = 30000 and the break-even curve P = 0. Describe your diagram below.

My question is that will this be a graph of a 2-D in a planar plane or is it 3-D?
    How do you graph it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's look at the first one, P = 10 000. If you plug that in, you get
    10 000 = 2 500 a + 11 000 b - 6 000

There are two variables, so you can plot this in 2-D. For example, put a on the x-axis, b on the y-axis and draw the curve corresponding to the formula. The first time, I suggest that you explicitly re-write it to the formula for a straight line (e.g. b = ... a + ...). Once you see that it is indeed a straight line, you can just plug in two values for a, find the values for b - then draw the two points you found and draw a straight line through it.
  4. Feb 3, 2009 #3

Staff: Mentor

To graph P(a, b) = 2500a + 11000b - 6000 requires three dimensions, and the graph will be a plane.

For each fixed value of P, though, the graph is a line that you can show in a two-axis system. Each of these lines would be a horizontal cross-section in the three-dimensional graph.
  5. Feb 3, 2009 #4
    ok then, at first place I thought this problem asks me to draw a contour diagram...
  6. Feb 3, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that is exactly what it is: a contour plot with just 4 level curves.
    So if you have treated that in class, it should also follow from the theory you learned that it can be done in 2D.
  7. Feb 3, 2009 #6
    gotcha! thanks everyone
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?