Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sketching a level curve

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    im having trouble with sketching a level curve

ex. equation: f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2

i cant run it .. (edit: sorry, -cant run it by matlab) .. :(

cant solve cant graph cant all .... in short, cant any attempt at a solution :(((

thank for your help ..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean you can't "run it?"

Level curves are two-dimensional slices of a surface in three dimensions. Pick several values for z and sketch graphs of the resulting curves.

For example, if z = 0, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = 0 look like?
    If z = 1, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = 1 look like?
    If z = -1, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = -1 look like?

And so on...

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3

When I had to sketch level curves, my teacher showed me a nice and easy to understand method:
    Your equation is f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 . Write it as z = x^2+2y^2
    which could also be re-written as z=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2)

Now that you have a clearer idea of what this could represent : if z=k a constant then for a certain z you have an ellipse of k=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2)
    Sketch it for some values and then connect the elements together. Since z can't be negative (x and y are both squared) it will be something like a parabola going up in the z-dir. So I guess it is a paraboloid, where each "slice" taken in z=k plane is an ellipse given by k=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2).

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4
    thank you for your attention :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook