1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching a level curve

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    im having trouble with sketching a level curve

ex. equation: f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2

i cant run it .. (edit: sorry, -cant run it by matlab) .. :(

cant solve cant graph cant all .... in short, cant any attempt at a solution :(((

thank for your help ..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean you can't "run it?"

Level curves are two-dimensional slices of a surface in three dimensions. Pick several values for z and sketch graphs of the resulting curves.

For example, if z = 0, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = 0 look like?
    If z = 1, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = 1 look like?
    If z = -1, what's the graph of the equation x^2 + 2y^2 = -1 look like?

And so on...

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3

When I had to sketch level curves, my teacher showed me a nice and easy to understand method:
    Your equation is f(x,y) = x^2 + 2y^2 . Write it as z = x^2+2y^2
    which could also be re-written as z=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2)

Now that you have a clearer idea of what this could represent : if z=k a constant then for a certain z you have an ellipse of k=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2)
    Sketch it for some values and then connect the elements together. Since z can't be negative (x and y are both squared) it will be something like a parabola going up in the z-dir. So I guess it is a paraboloid, where each "slice" taken in z=k plane is an ellipse given by k=(x^2/1)+(y^2/1/2).

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4
    thank you for your attention :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook