Rotating Surfaces: Simplifying Sketching with Normalized Equations

• Thread starter SprucerMoose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on how to sketch rotated surfaces such as ellipsoids, hyperboloids, and saddles in a simple or algorithmic way. They have difficulty when cross terms are involved in the equations and when the surface is drawn on a rotated set of axes. They are seeking advice to make the process easier. The suggested solution is to normalize the equations and draw the result, then rotate the coordinates afterwards.
SprucerMoose
Hi all,

I wasn't sure what section to put this under, but I was wondering if there is a simple, or at least algorithmic, process to sketching surfaces like ellipsoids, hyperboloids, saddles, etc. when they have been rotated. I seem to be able to manage (...just), with surfaces oriented to the standard x,y,z basis, but if cross terms are involved in the original expression and I construct a new expression for the surface in terms of a new orthonormal basis (where no cross terms appear), my drawings get extremely messy and all sense is lost. I find drawing a surface on a set of axis rotated in 3 dimensions quite difficult.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should normalize the equations first and draw the result. You then can still re-enter the old coordinates and rotate then.

1. What is a rotated surface?

A rotated surface is a three-dimensional shape that has been turned or twisted around a fixed point, resulting in a different orientation from its original position.

2. How do I sketch a rotated surface?

To sketch a rotated surface, you can start by drawing the two-dimensional shape of the surface in its original position. Then, using a protractor or ruler, measure and mark the angle of rotation from the fixed point. Finally, use your measurements to rotate the shape around the fixed point and draw the new position of the surface.

3. What tools do I need to sketch a rotated surface?

You will need a pencil, eraser, ruler, and protractor to sketch a rotated surface accurately. You may also find it helpful to have graph paper or a drawing compass to assist with measurements and angles.

4. How do I know the correct angle of rotation for a rotated surface?

The angle of rotation for a rotated surface can be determined by measuring the distance between the fixed point and any point on the surface in its original position. This distance will remain the same after rotation, and by measuring it again in the new position, you can calculate the angle of rotation using trigonometric functions.

5. Can I sketch a rotated surface without using math or measurements?

While it is possible to sketch a rotated surface without math or measurements, it may not be as accurate. You can estimate the angle of rotation by eye and use basic shapes and lines to create a rough sketch, but this method may not be suitable for precise or technical drawings.